Size of pump for 26 inch sand filter

deenamccauley

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
It looks like my pump is on it's last legs and I'm not exactly sure how to figure out the maximum size pump I can put in.
I know it has to do with the size of your sand filter....right?
I have a 26 inch sand filter (see sig line)
The reason I ask is I have a brand new 2 hp Challenger pump sitting in my garage, two of them actually. Long story.
Anyway, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Its not as simple as just the pump. What's your plumbing diameter? How many returns? How many skimmers? Main drain? In floor cleaner? Distance from pump for all of the above?

Deena,

You can generally size the pump and filter match by chosing a pump that delivers 80% of the capacity of the filter.

So, if your filter is rated around 80gpm (it should be on the label or call the manufacturere) then a pump that is rated around 60gpm is about perfect.

To figure your pump gpm is complex but there are some general guidelines you can use if you want to go further.

I can tell you almost positively that those pumps are too big for a 26" filter.

A smaller pump saves electricity and filters better. You could go as small as a 3/4 HP full rated or a 1 HP up rated pump. Getting another two speed pump can greatly reduce your electric bill. Perhaps the best choice might be a 1 1/2 HP full rated two speed, and run it on low as much as possible.

Yes, the 2 hp does have 2 inch....we considered sizing it down but we won't be doing that now.
We had someone give us 2/ 2hp pumps,brand new so we were just seeing if we could use them for something.
I know I put around 250 dollars into this pump last year so I'm not sure how much more money I want to throw at it. I'm guessing it's pushing 10 years old already. What is the life span of a pump?
Thanks for everyone's advise.

Good on the Rola-Chem tubing.

As for a pump, I agree with the above posts. I figure your filter's inlet and outlet are 1.5 inch so it would be easier to stay with a 1.5 inch fitting pump. Since your pump is still working, you have time to look and see what's out there in size and price.

Changing over to 2 inch in the pump house to fit a larger pump isn't easy. Since you already have the filter, you should match the new pump to it. A good two speed pump will save you money on electricity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.