Cover pump keeps dying and coming back to life - - What's going on?!?!?!

Bart

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Northern Virginia
I have a Rule 1800 gph cover pump and a couple weeks ago it died. I discovered the pool cover full of ice and snow and when I finally melted, nothing happened. The pump never kicked on and the water remained. I pulled in the pump and tested it and again, nothing happened - - it didn't start. I pulled out my much smaller "emergency" pump and drained the cover. Problem solved, just need to buy a new pump.

A day or so later, I tried the pump one last time before ordering a new one and it started right up!!! Great news and money saved.

I reinstalled it on the cover and everything was fine until we got more rain, snow, ice etc. I again discovered the sagging pool cover full of snow and ice and when it melted, I had the same problem - - the pump didn't work, I pulled it in and tested it and it still didn't work. And again, when I tested it a day later, it worked just fine.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Why would the pump fail out in the cold (but in actual water, not a block of ice) but work fine a day or so later?
Is this thing on its last legs?

PS - I only get to the pool on the weekends and I miss some, so that's why I might not discover the issue for a week or so.

I have had the exact same thing happen. The pump is fine for a while, then it stops working intermittently. I suspect it has something to do with it's auto shutdown when blocked feature triggering because of the cold even through there is no blockage. But then I am just guessing.

I think that that pump turns on when it's first plugged in. It runs for a few seconds and if it senses resistance it keeps running. If it does not sense resistance it stops running. Then it periodically runs for a few seconds to see if there is resistance.

I think that it uses the difference in current draw between running dry and pumping water.

If it's out of water when plugged in, it should only run for a second or two before shutting down.

Sometimes, you can get an air bubble in the pump around the impeller even when the pump is submerged. Sometimes you can dislodge the air by gently shaking the pump or suction or pressure on the hose.

I have found that the pumps can become temperamental and not always reliable.

You could check the impeller for debris to see if it's clogged.

After having nine pumps fail in seven years, I have switched to a manually setup syphon, instead of a cover pump. It requires that I go out and start the syphon any time I need to drain the cover, but it at least drains the cover reliably (as long as I remember to get it started).

I think that that pump turns on when it's first plugged in. It runs for a few seconds and if it senses resistance it keeps running. If it does not sense resistance it stops running. Then it periodically runs for a few seconds to see if there is resistance.

I think that it uses the difference in current draw between running dry and pumping water.

If it's out of water when plugged in, it should only run for a second or two before shutting down.

Sometimes, you can get an air bubble in the pump around the impeller even when the pump is submerged. Sometimes you can dislodge the air by gently shaking the pump or suction or pressure on the hose.

I have found that the pumps can become temperamental and not always reliable.

You could check the impeller for debris to see if it's clogged.

Thanks James.

Yep, that's how mine works......it starts and if water is detected, it keeps going. If not, it stops.

The strange thing is, I don't think there has been any blockage either time the pump "died". I took it inside and plugged it in and it didn't start, but a few hours later, after being inside it started right up. I didn't clear any blockage either time, just plugged it in......and forgot about it......then re-plugged it in later and it worked like a charm.

Weird

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.