Pool in Paradise

Mar 3, 2015
Pahoa, HI
Hey, All,

I'm Robert, and I have a beautiful home on the East coast of the Big Island of Hawaii that I built about 15 years ago. I used to commute back and forth from San Francisco, but am living here full-time since about 2011.
I have an L-shaped pool at the house that I surfaced in tile because I wanted a deep blue color, and I got advice from the tile store as to how to lay the tile myself, but unfortunately, they told me the wrong grout to use (not good for continuous submersion) so the tiles on many areas are coming off... a REAL drag. I need to drain the pool and resurface it at some point soon, but here in remote East Hawaii, there aren't many sources for pool renovation, so I'm definitely shopping for that service in the next while. The grout breaking down and tiles falling off (they're the little 1-inch mosaic glass tiles) has been a nightmare in making cleaning SO much harder that I can't wait just to have "regular" pool problems! :)

I love this site and it's helped me maintain my pool and gotten me through some real situations (like the time I trusted a neighbor to clean the pool and keep the chlorine up and she "forgot" to do it and I came back to a green pool!)

I'm going to post a couple of questions about water clarity and shocking the pool, and would appreciate any help, so thanks!

Robert

Welcome Robert!

Glad you are enjoying the forum. Not sure what grout to advise, but that ought to be easy enough with a little search. Good luck on that, and do post your questions.

Now, how about showing us the pool in that beautiful setting? :lol:

Welcome! You'll find a wealth of information in Pool School. Start with the ABC's of pool water chemistry.

Another request for pics of this pool!

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Fixing the tiles falling off will be a big project......been there.

Most any grout with some latex additive is fine for pools. Your issue could also have been improper water chemistry or installation

When you get ready to re-do that, there are many factors to success but one of the biggest will be prepping your pool wall to accept the new tiles.

Who finally told you the grout was unacceptable for pools. How long did the tiles stay on?

Go cover up woody...

We wanna see pool pics! :mrgreen: