Debris blowing back into pool when vacuuming...help!

Jun 25, 2008
Ohio
Now that I've got the BBB method down and my pool is clear...now I have this issue. :roll:

I've got a two speed pump/cartridge filter. When I vacuum the pool and there is visible algae/dirt on the bottom, it seems to blow back in through the return. I usually vacuum on high b/c obviously the suction is much better, but that in turn, makes the stuff blow back in even more intensely. Before I know it, I've got a murky pool instead of clear water with some dirt on the bottom. It's very frustrating. What could be causing this? My husband says it's just b/c the debris is so small, it's not getting filtered by the cartridge, but shouldn't I be able to vacuum this stuff out instead of just getting it all stirred up and waiting days for it to clear the filter? I know other pool owners are able to do this. :? And yes, my cartridge is clean and I do change it frequently throughout cleaning. This happens as soon as I start, however. Any ideas? Thank you!

Kristi

If you have a multi-port valve, it might have a bad spider gasket, allowing water to bypass the filter. Or the cartridge might not be properly seated into the filter, and dirt is getting around the cartridge. Or the cartridge filter fabric is torn and is letting dirt through.

Bad multi-port valves typically leak some water to waste, so check for that. Then examine the cartridge for tears and be sure to replace it carefully and make sure it is properly seated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.