I think I got the wrong pump

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You are going to have to provide more information. Like the details on the motor plates for the old and new pumps.

Likely you could have just replace the motor, and better yet would have been a 2-speed especially in CA.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Welcome! :)

As JB said, the model numbers of both pumps would help a lot. You can have a high pressure 2½ hp pump or you can have a high flow 2½ hp pump, so just saying it's a 2½ hp really doesn't tell us what the flow characteristics are.

Hello

OK, I guess looking at what I have and giving as much info as I can will help. This is a multie part issue. The old pump, a Hayward Northstar 2.0hp self priming. Pump started making a loud noise and got louder and louder. I ordered a new single speed pump from an Ontario, CA (California not Canada) company. It's a Hayward Super pump 2.0 self priming. The new pump is smaller but 12 yrs newer I figured it should be smaller. It get's better, the company had an open box item for a discount. The base was cracked so they sent a new base and the end of the motor had a small dent. All hooked up and the spa just doesn't really bubble like it should. One year later the pump starts squealing and then seized and kicked the breaker. I wonder if the drop on the end was bad for the shaft? Can't bother with court for $500 so just need to replace the pump and eat the cost. I need to know what pump I need because this time I will contract the install due to health.

p.s. the house will be on the market in a year so nothing exotic.

Well, if it is a Super pump and not a Super II pump, then that is a significantly smaller pump than the Northstar and will move a lot less water ... thus you are not getting enough flow to draw in air. As Dave said, all 2HP are not created equal ... it is the wet end design that determines the flow rate.

Do you still have the Northstar pump? You could likely just get a new motor for it.

It's not a Super II and didn't move enough water/ I did need to change the plumbing for the new pump. What would be a good replacement with no bell and whistles, I'm moving in a year. I'll pay for the work but I want to know what's up

Good Day, there is a difference between the Super II you purchased and the Northstar but it should not be something with that much difference. Can you give me the specs on your spa, # jets, size of pipe. If needed private message me you phone number and I will call to discuss.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good Day, there is a difference between the Super II you purchased and the Northstar but it should not be something with that much difference. Can you give me the specs on your spa, # jets, size of pipe. If needed private message me you phone number and I will call to discuss.
They said it was the the Super Pump ... not the Super II. Thus the large flow differences.

Yes it appears I replaced a 160 gpm @ 40' with a 100 gpm @ 40' pump. Wondered why the spa doesn't bubble. That pump is now dead because I believe the vendor screwed me with an open box deal some scratches on the pump but I think it landed on the shaft end and that lead to the untimely death. It looks like the "Hayward SP3220EE TriStar 2HP Full-Rated Energy Efficient 208-230V Pool Pump" is a direct replacement. So it looks like the Tristar is a good replacement for a Northstar. I'm loyal to Hayward because they took good care of my warranty issue with my heater.

Consider the 2-speed version. If the price difference is not too much, you could easily recoup the extra cost by saving electricity by running on low speed for filtration.

Well looks like the quest is over. Just ordered a "Hayward TriStar High Performance Energy Efficient Pump 2.0HP FR | 115/230V | SP3220EE" so now I just need to install it. Thanks everyone for the advice. Wish I found this site a year ago but I did save a fortune with the $2.00 fix for my salt system.

OK final chapter. I replaced the pump with a Hayward Tristar SP3220EE single speed (selling the house soon). I picked it up from will call at the pump place and paid $647.00. Not bad counting Ca. tax.

Installed the pump on the raises base from the old pump. The base is cement siding so I just remove one layer and the height was right. Wired up the motor and then slid the pump in place and plumbed it up. Waited for the glue to dry and fired it up. Water shooting everywhere and none was coming from my fittings. Middle of the pump was leaking bad.

I checked out the pump and one of the bolts holding the pump to the strainer basket was missing it bushing. I called Hayward and they said "very odd, where do you live, I'll see if I can have someone out there today (it was 11:30am). The tech came yesterday (next) but missed me. Came back this morning and replaced the bushing but the O ring was crimped so pulled it apart and replaced the O ring. Then the pool guy fired it up and all is well.

One thing I can say about Hayward they honor the warranty. I called Hayward two days ago and the pool tech has come and gone and the pump is purring away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.