Kicking on the pool!

Feb 19, 2015
York
Hey Guys/Gals,

Just had my pool finished in November. I've been running my pool all winter with the dummy Nature2 DuoClear 25 cartridge filter in the FusionSoft. I just put the real filter in place tonight as we're expecting temps in the 70's over the next few days and I figure now is as good a time as any.

Salt level is at 3,600ppm right now and all other items (alk, hardness, pH, etc), besides chlorine, are in the green!

Do I just let it run for a few days or do I set the system to boost for 24 hours or what?

On another note...the DuoClear 25 is rated for 25K gallons. I have 16K gallons. Says it's good for 6 months, but that is based a 25K gallon pool, right? Should I be OK for 7 or 8 months? Just trying to make it through the entire swim season before I purchase a new one.

What does "in the green" mean?
What test kit are you using?

You are no running with the mineral pack in the Nature2 are you?
You should always supplement with bleach as required to keep the FC in the recommended range for your CYA.

What does "in the green" mean?
What test kit are you using?

"In the green" means, everything is balanced and where it should be.

ALK: 120
PH: 7.4
Free CL: 0
HRD: 250
CYA: 80

I'm using a Taylor K-2006 kit and a dip.scan.swim system for testing.

You are no running with the mineral pack in the Nature2 are you?

I'm not following you here. I just installed the Zodiac Nature 2 DuoClear 25 Mineral Replacement Cartridge (W28000), which is why I started the thread.

You should always supplement with bleach as required to keep the FC in the recommended range for your CYA.

I didn't read anything, anywhere about supplementing with bleach. The pool school guy never mentioned bleach either. My CYA has never been off, it's been steady at 80.

Everything isn't where it should be. Your FC is zero !!
I would add some bleach ASAP to get your FC up to the recommended range of 6 ppm.
Are these test results from the Taylor 2006 ? Forget about using the dip strips. They are not accurate enough. The Pool guy is t going to mention about using bleach to supplement your FC either.

What does add "some" bleach mean?! I don't have a measurement labeled, "some".

I was told not to worry about FC until the water temp was higher. It's been hovering around 52° for 2 days now. I know that over the next few days that will rise with the higher temps. Prior to today the water temp has been below 45°. No need for FC with temps that low. Nothing is going to grow. I had a chlorine tablet in my skimmer that lasted just over 30 days. I used one in January and February. Now, I have the Zodiac Nature 2 DuoClear 25 Mineral Replacement Cartridge installed, so it should be making chlorine, right?

Not many fans of Nature2 on this forum.

From your post, it seems you have not read much in Pool School. I would suggest you scan through the forum and get a grasp of what we teach.......it will not match what you have heard elsewhere.

As Jeff, said you need to get FC in the water ASAP with bleach and then the SWG should hopefully maintain it.

Which Nature 2, specifically, do you have? The one with a SWG I assume?

We NEVER recommend the use of these mineral packs as they are likely to lead to staining and green hair. Using the SWG portion is fine.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Well...........We don't recommend using any of those mineral pack cartridges. But you should bump your Fc to 3 or 4 manually with plain bleach and let the SWG side of it "maintain" that level. There is a calculator in pool school to tell you how much to add. http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html The mineral pack side of your unit does not produce chlorine. The SWG side of it does.

What does add "some" bleach mean?! I don't have a measurement labeled, "some".
"Some" is is roughly the equivalent of your "in the green" test results.

Please take a moment and review the forum rules. One of our Paramount rules is the courteous manner in which we converse. You have asked some questions on this forum and all have been replied to in a courteous manner. Make sure all your posts extend that same degree of courteousness.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How much bleach?

duraleigh, I am being extremely courteous, I thought. I just wanted to know how much bleach to add and I'm getting an answer of "some". I don't know what that means.

jblizzle, to answer you specifically, I am using the Nature2 Fusion Soft 1400 SWG with a Zodiac Nature 2 DuoClear 25 Mineral Cartridge.

Let's slow down here for a minute. I know it seems we are bombarding you with info. Take the time to read the links given to you. Pool Math will tell you how much of bleach to add to your water. You have to fill in the fields. Your pool water volume etc. Take a look at it and play with it for a bit.
Read some then ask more questions.

OK, just wanted to be 100% sure you actually had the SWG version. I would suggest removing the mineral portion of it and just use the SWG portion. Depending on the design you may have to crack open the mineral cart and remove the metal and then put the empty cart back in to seal the system (maybe do that to your old mineral cart and save/sell the new one).

As multiple posts have mentioned ... use PoolMath to calculate how much bleach to add to get to the 3-5ppm range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.