Advice on a New Heater

Jul 13, 2011
Austin, TX
I have a 7-8 year old Hayward H400 pool heater that started blowing steam out of the vent this season. I took that as a bad sign... Today is the first day that I've been able to take an outside look at the unit. What I noticed was that the outside metal panel below the water intake/outlet has rusted enough that it crumbles with just an easy finger push. Once that hole was made, I could reach in and determine that the bottom panel was completed rusted out and coming apart in sheets of rust. Another bad sign...

I figure I could replace the panels and (most likely) the heat exchanger, but at that point I've racked up enough cost to justify a new heater. So the question is, which one and what size?

The simple answer is to replace it with the newer H400, but I've read several reviews where people have been experiencing electronic issues (water damage). That makes me worried. I could simply make a cover for the panel as a precaution. Is there a better manufacturer I should consider?

I only use the heater for my spa, which I estimate about 500 gallons (5x6 oval, less seating area). If I use it only for about 3 months of the year (and maybe 10-15 times), do I need a 400,000 btu unit?

Lastly, as a point of validation, it is my understanding that unless a certified contractor installs the unit, my warranty is next to worthless. I assume most contractors have a brand preference, so I'd like to determine what I want, then find the right person. I am considering doing this one myself and potentially foregoing the warranty...

Thanks in advance

Raypak heaters always get better reviews than the other brands. That is what I would look into. The bigger the heater, the faster you can heat up your spa. Depends on how many degrees you need to add and how fast you want to do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.