Electrical Outlet Locations

Feb 27, 2015
Dallas, TX
Getting ready for a new build and was thinking about electrical outlet needs. Obviously new electric lines are run to the pool equipment and pumps. Is there any other pool related need for outlets available near the pool?

At least one standard outlet is required to be relatively close to the pool, but not closer than 10 feet, for general usage. It is nice to have another one on the other side of the pool as well, but that is not required.

I can tell you that as surely as the sun rises in the East and sets in the West, people will occasionally want to plug in their wireless devices while lounging by the pool. And likely they won't be sitting near the equipment pad.

Yep, there are. You may want to plug in a sump pump, a stereo, a TV, a fan, perhaps a radiant heater or one of those portable propane forced air things that has a plug for the fan, an electric rotisserie for the barbecue, a shop vac, a power rooter, electric edger, hedge trimmer, perhaps devices that haven't been invented yet. It's so easy to add outlets while the trench is open, only a fool would skimp now.

I believe this is what the code says:

Where a permanently installed pool is installed at a dwelling unit(s), no fewer than one 125-volt 15- or 20-ampere receptacle on a general-purpose branch circuit shall be located not less than 3.0 m (10 ft) from, and not more than 6.0 m (20 ft) from, the inside wall of the pool. This receptacle shall be located not more than 2.0 m (6 ft 6 in.) above the floor, platform, or grade level serving the pool.

I have no structures or pool equipment within 20 feet of my pool. This seems like a silly rule. Any suggestions to get a plug withink 20 feet of the pool. The covered patio is about 35 feet away and all the receptacles on the patio are GFCI. The pool equipment is about 30 feet away.

I believe this is what the code says:

Where a permanently installed pool is installed at a dwelling unit(s), no fewer than one 125-volt 15- or 20-ampere receptacle on a general-purpose branch circuit shall be located not less than 3.0 m (10 ft) from, and not more than 6.0 m (20 ft) from, the inside wall of the pool. This receptacle shall be located not more than 2.0 m (6 ft 6 in.) above the floor, platform, or grade level serving the pool.

I have no structures or pool equipment within 20 feet of my pool. This seems like a silly rule. Any suggestions to get a plug withink 20 feet of the pool. The covered patio is about 35 feet away and all the receptacles on the patio are GFCI. The pool equipment is about 30 feet away.

The reason for the requirement is to reduce the chance of somebody using an extension cord near the pool. The easiest way to get the plug there is by putting the outlet on a 4x4 post. Easy to hide in landscaping someplace.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.