Century 2Green part

Mar 3, 2015
SW Florida
Hello everyone,
First let me thank you for this wonderful site, it has been very useful in managing my pool during the last 5 years.

My question involves a AO Smith/Century 2Green 2 speed pump Model# B2980.

When installing the pump on my Pentair system, I accidentally ran a wire too close to the rotating switch and damaged one of the two springs on the rotating switch. <hand face plant>

The pump runs with one spring but I am a little worried about the missing spring.

I tried to find replacement springs with no luck.

I also tried to find an entire replacement 2 speed rotating switch but they are listed as discontinued on every site I could find.

I purchased a 1 speed rotating switch but the springs did not work because they were to tight and the motor would not spin while they were in place.

So to the question, can I just leave 1 spring and be OK or does any one have a suggestion on where to get the spring or even the whole rotating switch assembly for a 2 speed?

Thanks for helping to correct my mistake,
Brian

IMG_1053.jpg

As long as the pump starts, it should be fine. The springs hold the centrifugal switch closed until the motor gets up to enough speed to open the switch and disconnect the start capacitor. With one missing spring, the switch will open a little early, but I think it should be OK. Ideally, it would be best to have the other spring, but I don't think it's critical as long as the pump starts OK.

If you go to a place that does pool service or small electric motor repair, they might be able to pull the part off of an old motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.