TFP-100 for freshwater aquarium?

The TF100 is not suitable for aquarium use ( except for the OTO test to see if you need to use a chlorine neutalizer on your water before stocking or when doing water changes--you can use the FAS-DPD test but it's a bit of overkill). For the money I like the API Freshwaster Master Lab. API (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals) makes both liquid and tablet reagent kits. I would recommend getting the liquid ones. Fewer problems and faster testing. They also have individual tests for such things as kH (carbonae hardness or TA), total hardness, and phosphates. I have found that Drs. Fosters and Smith have some of the best online prices
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... =3578+4345

If your tap water does have chlorine in it remember it is most likely chloramine, which means you need to 'shock' it with bleach before using the chlorine neutralize break down the chloramine first.

Do find out what is going into your water from your water supply. In many cases they have changed from just using chlorine to using chloramines which don't break down as fast in the water supply. if they are using chloramines then you need a dechlorinator which will not only break down the ammonia/chlorine bond, but will also treat the resulting ammonia. I always used Seachem Prime, but there are other products which work well. I've had this page bookmarked for some time: http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/rev-cond.htm

As waterbear suggested, the API test kits are what you need, although I doubt you need more than the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate kits for most home aquariums. I only used the ammonia and nitrite tests when starting up a new aquarium though, but they can be useful if a problem is suspected.

As for the problem with snails, many people have that problem, usually due to copper in the water. One local fish store has that issue. Funny thing is, many people try to get rid of snails and can't!

Without aquarium details though, it's hard to diagnose. Tank volume, filtration, heat, ornaments (rocks plants etc.). I could never grown plants. My fish either ate or destroyed them! :lol:

I do use a water conditioner for chloramines, can't remember the brand.

I see that WalMart sells the API Freshwater master for ~$18 I think. I'll pick one up.

I've tested my water for copper before and it did not have any. Around these parts, the way they build the new homes, a lot of people get copper in their water due to poor electrical grounding.

Thanks all!

dave

For a chlorine neutralizer I have always had excellent results with Amquel or Amquel+ by Kordon which also treat the ammonia. However if you add bleach first, just like shocking a pool, and aerate then you are driving off the ammona as nitorgen gas and a simple thiosulfate chlorine remover will then do the job.
The API Freshwater Master Lab test both low and high range pH, nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia so it's a good start. If you need other tests you can add on what you need.. For copper I would spend the moneh on one of the low range kits from LaMotte or Taylor.

Ok, I've been doing some more reading in this area and hopefully someone can help with the mapping for different tests.

1.kH - TA - got that one in my TFP-100
2.gH - general hardness, use calcium chloride and magnesium to raise. Is the CH?

It appears that everyone needs their own special dialect to speak about stuff. I need a thesaurus :)

I actually have a plant in my nano-aquarium. It is a crypt and enjoys its partners of a mystery snail, and a beta.

I bought the Amquel+, but if it ties up the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates will that keep the plant from having access to them also?

I would love to have the TFP equivalent of an aquarium forum, but am still looking. I looked at fishgeeks, and tom barr report. Any others out there that peoples like?

thanks for th ehelp,

lovingHDTV said:
2.gH - general hardness, use calcium chloride and magnesium to raise. Is the CH?
No, You need a total hardness test which is slightly different. You want to test both magnesium and calcium hardness. The test in the TF100 only tests calcium hardness (but if you had a salt water aquarium it would be an applicable test!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.