Has Any One Installed Fafco Solar Panels

I am sure there are many who have installed these panels ... there is really not much difference between the brands.

You do not want the inlet and outlet on the same side because the water will travel the easiest route and thus you will not have even flow in all the panels.

Oh wait, before I continue about how to install them on a roof, I just realized you have a small Intex pool and that may not be what you are actually thinking of doing. What panel are you looking at specifically? Where will you install them and how many?

I assume you are also looking at a larger pump too then .. right?

Ok, so you want the inlet to the panels to be on the bottom and the outlet of the panels to be on the top opposite of the inlet. The entire bank of panels should be slightly tilted so the highest point is the outlet. You can have both the inlet and outlet pipes going onto the roof at the same place, you would just run the inlet pipe below all the panels and then use 2 90s to turn back into the panels then the warm water will come out the top nearest to where the pipes get on the roof and run back to the equipment.

You will also need a couple of check valves and a diverter valve if you will not have a separate dedicated pump.

That drawing looks pretty good. You usually need another check valve on the return pipe from the solar before it tees back into the main plumbing.

How do you know you are currently getting 40 GPM with the Intex pump? I barely get that with my 1HP 2-speed pump.
With 5 panels you need about 25 GPM through the solar, I am just not sure the Intex will have enough power to push the water up onto a roof.

There is no real difference between the to brands of valves. But, Pentair makes a "solar" valve that has a built in check valve that allows the panels to drain even when the solar is turned off. That may not matter for you if you are manually controlling the valve. You can also just drill a small hole in the diverter of any valve.

Thank you for that great information =]. I tested it by doing the bucket test multiple times I was getting 2 gallons every 3 seconds. All my plumbing is 2 inches with flex instead of using 90s. I have two intakes one is a skimmer and one return. Is there a better way to test my gpm?

There is no real need to know the flow rate, just feel the panels and be sure they are cool to the touch.

Also you should have a vacuum release valve up on the panels to help them drain when the solar is off. Again not sure the Intex will generate enough pressure to keep the VRV closed.

I just had FAFCO panels installed by a FAFCO dealer here in SW Florida last May 2014. My inlet and outlet pipes connect on the same side. The new FAFCO panels have an internal header on the inlet side that equalizes the inlet pressure across the 10 panels (440sqft) I have installed, which eliminates the pressure drop concern and ensures equal flow though the 10 panels. My 1 yr experience is that I am getting the heating per design so the system works with this hookup. Of note the dealer also installed a flowmeter, so my pump speed is based on 40gpm or 4gpm per panel

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.