Time for a new pump =(

AprilNC

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
I was hoping to get through this summer before buying a new pump ... but looks like the time is now!

Our current pump is only 3/4 hp and I've never had issues with not having enough suction - although I really never have to use the vacuum due to the location (I really don't battle with tree debris etc. Our robot generally picks up everything and if not I just grab a net. Also, I generally get away with running the pump for 8-12 hours a day in the summer, and I've never had algae issues as long as I keep up the testing regimen.

Due to this ... should I even consider a VS? I've looked at some pumps and it seems that the HP is the only specs given without really digging into owners manuals ... is there anything I need to look at?

I would not suggest a VS. The payback on them is forever unless your electric rates are California style
(they're not for you and me in NC :D)

It sounds like a direct replacement would be your best bet but certainly nothing bigger than a 1 hp.

You could consider a 1 HP 2 speed but I am reluctant to suggest that because you have such a good grasp of your pool water management.

Your's sounds like a case of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!".

Thanks! I am not sure the exact age of this pump - it came with the used pool - so at least 10 years old ... I am guessing it has lived a long enough life!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.