First ever battle with algae

minxcal

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2013
South FL
Hello! So it rained all day yesterday here, and it's not unusual for us to have quite a bit of dirt/sand in the pool after a big rain, but this looked different. I tested and everything tested OK, but I still felt like this was a little more than the usual. I ran the vac yesterday afternoon when the rain stopped thinking it was the normal sandy mess, but woke up this morning to just a tinge of a green cloud in the deep end. The screen looked extra clean, so I think this fun dropped in from the cage - yay.

Looks like algae.jpg

I started adding bleach to get between 15-20 (according to the SLAM targets with my CYA level) and brushing right away... and went to BJ's to get a few more cases of bleach just in case.

Calvary.jpg

When I came back, I changed out the filter, so this was change #3 - hard to believe how filthy it was when the water looks relatively clear!

Filter change #3.jpg

Couple of hours and filter changes later, the bleach was holding at 18ppm, so I threw in all the tools I've been using and now I'm just getting ready for my first OLCT - wish me luck!!

Getting there.jpg

I LOVE THIS SITE and how easy it's been making taking care of a pool!

Good job minx!

Glad to hear the forum is helping you out. Looks like you have enough chlorine to get control of this, or at least the bulk of it. Curious where all the dirt comes from. Do you get run off from the surrounding surfaces into the pool?

Thanks, all. Not done yet. Dropped 2ppm. :(

Patrick_B - I think the dirt usually just comes through the screen. We're a block from the beach on a busy road and we've figured out through millions of noseeum bites that the cage is screened with regular screen.

Looks a whole lot better, though!

4d7bc08225209c116af6373b3228daa5.jpg

Thanks, all. Not done yet. Dropped 2ppm. :(

Patrick_B - I think the dirt usually just comes through the screen. We're a block from the beach on a busy road and we've figured out through millions of noseeum bites that the cage is screened with regular screen.

Looks a whole lot better, though!

Oops! Accidentally replied to my own post and can't seem to find how to delete it.

Thank you all for the encouragement!

Once I get this cleaned up, I was thinking of adding borates, but going the easy route with something like ProTeam Supreme Plus. I had hives all day last time I used any MA. Thoughts?

Yes, I don't believe the MA had anything to do with your Hives. You may be a good candidate for borates, and a lot of people like them. I don't think adding them to eliminate hives should be a motivation however. Your fill water TA and pH are the important considerations when considering borate addition to your pool.

Oh, I didn't mean add them to avoid hives... I meant last time I used MA, I got hives. I've got super sensitive skin. I'd prefer to not have to use gallons of it to add Borax.

Anyway, FC dropped 1 1/2ppm overnight last night. Day three about to commence!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wouldn't check for an OCLT until you can see the screws on the main drain in deep end if you have one. Keep SLAM'ing, brushing n sweeping. :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.