Quote Questions - North Dallas

Feb 27, 2015
Dallas, TX
Newbie here looking into adding a pool. Have gotten recommendations on several PB and have been working with some quotes/designs. Since we are new at this wanted any feedback on cost/suggestions, design feedback etc. We have a smallish back yard, utilities (electric/gas) are all on the south west side. Due to access excavation will be done with a Bobcat. We would also like to keep a trampoline in the backyard with some small greenspace near it. Several questions we have:
  • Is a 6" rise with a veneered stone going to look high enough with the 3 18" posts with water scuppers?
  • How will the equipment look where it is located? Will a cedar fence with some planters/plants around it look okay? Would stone look be better or does it not matter?
  • Reviewing this site, the pump, filter and other equipment seem to be reasonable and appropriately sized as far as I can tell, is there anything I am missing?
  • Is the price reasonable?

Any other general feedback? Anything else we should be watching for or considering?

Thanks
David

Quote: $47,000

93' Perimeter
496 Area
17.5x29 15,500 gallons
3 1/2 x 4 x 5 depth
3 18x18x18 stone columns
1/2" steel on 10" centers
3 scuppers for water features
overflow on pool
Dual main drains, 2 skimmers, 5 returns
gas line to pool heater( 60 feet )

Gunite
8 to 12" 6 sack mix

Tile
6x6 waterline standard, oklahoma flagstone coping
40 feet 6" raised bond veneered in stone
Mini- pebble interior finish

Decking
540 sq.ft 2 colored stamped concrete sealed
brass drain heads

Equipment
Jandy stealth 1.5 HP 2 speed
Jandy 450 SQ cartridge
Jandy JXi 400K btu natural gas
Cleaner - POLARIS 280 W/ ¾ HP BOOSTER PUMP

Other
grading pool and access area
sprinkler re-route
cedar fence around equipment

tmp.jpg

Note these are older renderings, the bench on side of the pool is no longer there and the fence around the equipment is supposed to be cedar not stone.

tmp1.jpg

View attachment 34499

That all looks pretty good to me. The design is nice, benches are good, we like to sit in the pool. I would skip the 3-1/2' and go straight to 4'. Price might be a tad on the high side. Our pool is little bigger and was a little less money. But, that was three years ago.

Glad to recommend our neighbor and pool builder if you are still looking for another quote. They build amazing pools.
www.reberandco.com/

I think it looks just fine.

Personally, I would prefer the cedar fence over the stone one. The cedar would blend in better with the backdrop of your existing property fence. (im assuming the property fence is a wood one).

Really cant comment on the price as the prices vary considerably depending on the location.

+1 on VS pumps being very quiet, especially on 2000ish or less rpm. Water noise will definitely drown out pump noise. Our pump about 30 ft from our pool with no enclosure and we can't hear it. The booster pump for the pressure cleaner is another story. But, I run that at night during the swim season.

Nice build, and a pretty nice price, especially with Jandy equipment. Nice finish choice as well.

May I suggest cutting the polaris pump/pressure cleaner? Get a 1000-1500 dollar robot cleaner and do away with the booster pump. Not just because of this, but you mention wanting quiet, and the Polaris booster will likely be louder than a VS. My VS is nearly slient until it's up pretty high, which it hardly ever is. Mostly though, because a booster will devour electricity, and it will be another pump to break down as well. I chose this option, and I can't over stress how happy we were with this decision. The cost of the pump and cleaner was dollars apart from a Robot so it made economical sense as well.

Ok first let me say I love your pool. I wish they were that cheap in Austin. I am going to comment on the trampoline. We had in our yard a trampoline on a flat area of our yard. There was concrete on one side really close like your design. We had a safety net around the trampoline but it was a year old and I guess weakened in the Texas sun. A friend's preteen daughter was on it and fell backwards against the net and the net broke and she fell backwards off the trampoline and hit her head on the concrete. She was transported by ambulance to the hospital. Fortunately she only had a minor concussion and some bleeding. I had that trampoline out of my yard in 24 hours. It was put together right and it was only a year old. I am guessing the material in the safety net weakened in the sun after one summer.

If you want a trampoline in your yard I think it is way too close in the design to your fence and concrete. I would add 10' radius around the trampoline with something soft to land on. Just someone who cares and had a very bad experience with a trampoline.

Thanks for the feedback on the trampoline. It is a SpringFree trampoline which is not the typical type which is used exclusively by our daughter for gymnastics training. So it gets safety checked regularly and isn't available for general use. Thanks for the reminder, safety is definitely something to confirm with our PB.

Thanks also for the info about robot cleaners we'll be sure to check into that. Long term power savings are good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.