Thoughts on Plumbing and Rebar?

TCB

Feb 17, 2015
Aledo/Texas
PB tell me this is one of the things sets him apart from others. He calls it pump protection from pump burnout. He has it riged so if the water drops below the skimmer the pump will not run dry. He also says that he ties in the pool structure rebar with the deck rebar by bending it so it flows right in. Is that a wise thing to do considering if the deck ever moves that side of the pool that's tied into it is going to move as well?
Thanks for the time,
TCB

View attachment 34495

Thread Title edited by Divin Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Any thoughts on this?

Please use more descriptive subject lines! Many people here only answer specific kinds of questions, and there is no telling anything at all from your current subject line.

That extra line coming from the bottom of the skimmer to the pool is called an equalization line. They are fairly common on commercial pools, quite rare on residential pool. An equalization port has both pros and cons. I don't prefer them because they add additional places where you might have a leak, though the odds of that are low. They also add expense, which is probably why they are not usually installed. There is a case where that can keep the pump from running dry, there are also other cases where it won't help. Most people consider it a net positive, but it isn't a huge difference either way.

Connecting the pool rebar to the deck has far more dramatic pros and cons. In nearly all places it is considered very bad practice. However, there are a few areas where soil conditions kind of require it. The big issue is if the connection has enough structural strength to survive shifting soil conditions. Normally the deck and the pool are kept isolated so that they can shift separately. This allows small shifts without causing any serious problems (i.e. cracking), but large shifts will create discontinuities in the level of the coping and the deck that become trip hazards. Connecting them together is preferred when very large soil shifts are not just expected but certain. When connected, the connection has to be done correctly or it simply encourages cracking and worse kinds of concrete failure, which can be quite serious.

Re: Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for the replies very useful information. From the sounds of it that if I went with that builder I need to ask him to leave the rebar conecting out. This is the same PB that tried to put the fear in me on the salt system. From talking to him sounds like he is just old school and set in his ways.

Jason I've tried to edit my subject line but no joy. Would you like me to delete it and start over?

Thanks again.

To edit a topic subject: edit the first post in the topic, press the Go Advanced button, find the title field and edit it, submit your edit. This can only be done by the original poster or a moderator.

Our PB did those same style rebar sticking straight up and then bent them down and tied them in with the deck. But, our pool deck only goes around about 25% of the pool, the rest is raised because the yard slopes. Our black clay dirt moves plenty. The first winter was a little sketchy. We were in drought and the soil contracted as soon as we stopped watering plants. Everything started moving and a gap developed around the pool. We put in a micro-irrigation sprinkler system on a timer. Three years in and we are doing ok. The key for us has been trying to maintain even soil moisture levels.

I could definitely see how there could be issues with tying in the deck and pool. Seems inevitable that they would move differently. We have an expansion joint with deckoseal and it moves some. We had to replace our deckoseal a couple months ago, after three summers. It was detached from the deck about 25% or 30% of the 41' that my deck is attached to the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.