Pool in online cart.... about to do it....

May 23, 2014
SW Washington
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Okay. I heard the Mister say the words. It was a semi joke because I was in a bad mood. "Would you be happier if you bought your pool?" Thats all I needed :D

https://www.thepoolfactory.com/signature-rtl-24x54-round.html [Wilbar Signature RTR 24'x54"] $1557

Upgraded 25ml liner $75

Pentair SD80 $338

Pentair OptiFlo 1hp 2 speed $224

Pool Cover $61

...and of course....TF 100 Test Kit

Total 2255$. I already have a (albeit crappy) ladder from the intex, various nets and hoses.

Any fatal flaws (other than depriving my bank account of my beloved dollars?) :p:p:p OMG this is happening !

That intex ladder will never work. You need a safety ladder.

Exactly what Casey said. The Intex ladder barely works with the Intex pools as far as stability and ease of use go. Get a better ladder now. $200 more is not that bad. Also, if you live in a decent sized town, check Craigslist. I just picked up a nice set of steps for $35.
Did you get a light? If the summers are nice, there should be some late night swims and a light is a must.

Does the pool come with the cove that provides the barrier that keeps the liner from rubbing against the side of the pool? What about a gorilla pad or some protection for the liner and the ground?

Is the cover a solar cover? If not, you should get a solar cover to keep the heat in at night. I am fairly certain that a standard cover will not do this. It will only keep debris out. A solar cover will do both.

Well, that's my two cents. Since I did not look at the link and you may have these things cover. Go luck and enjoy your new pool.

Any objections to the Optiflo 2 speed 1 hp with a horizontal discharge vs vertical? Amazons price of vertical went up to 268$:grrrr: BUT the same pump in a horizontal discharge is $153. Having not seen or setup anything yet it's hard to visualize if that will be a problem.

Also, solar cover and ladder added to cart! :D The final trees were fell today. I think I might start on a 'real' build thread soon. It will be a slow project over the next few weeks so it might not be too exciting. LOL.

Hi Linzjane,
In looking at the optiflo pump you mention (I could only find the vertical discharge one) and also the SD80 fiter, here is my thoughts.

The pipe from the pump connects to the top of the filter. If the pump has a horizontal discharge, then you'll have to squeeze in an additional 90 deg fitting and short length of pipe. This will add a tad more head loss to the circulation system, but not enough to be a problem I dont think.

Also, the short piece of pipe out of the pump should preferably be about a foot long before it bends up.
If space where you will put the equipment is tight, then this might not be the best situation.

Having said this, the Vertical discharge would provide for a much neater plumbing installation and probably provide a little bit better pump efficiency, and save space if its in short supply.

Hope this helps,

PS, if you decide on the horizonal one due to the lower price, make sure its a 2 speed and not a single speed one. It seems straange to me that there would be
that much price difference simply because of the discharge orientation. So compare the specs of the two and and if they are equal, then Im sure whichever you decide will be fine.

Any objections to the Optiflo 2 speed 1 hp with a horizontal discharge vs vertical? Amazons price of vertical went up to 268$:grrrr: BUT the same pump in a horizontal discharge is $153. Having not seen or setup anything yet it's hard to visualize if that will be a problem.

Also, solar cover and ladder added to cart! :D The final trees were fell today. I think I might start on a 'real' build thread soon. It will be a slow project over the next few weeks so it might not be too exciting. LOL.

Thank you DivinDave! I got excited because I saw "Longview" for your location and thought 'hey we are right next door practically!' until I saw TEXAS. I am about 5 miles away from Longview, Washington (I bet yours is nicer. HA!).
Anyway, I found that price difference strange as well but it is advertised as a 2 speed 1 hp....so hopefully that is really what they are selling! It seemed like $154 was a really low price compared to what I have seen. I keep thinking I am missing something but I swear I have looked a thousand times and don't see any red flags.

Well I did it.....So far my running total is
Pentair 340071 1hp 2 speed horizontal discharge $154.17
Pentair SD80 145333 $338.38
Pool Cove $61

Our other costs for getting ready:
3 Packs duct tape for securing cove (*possibly foam bottom too....not sure on that one yet*) 20$
RoundUp and sprayer to keep the ferocious blackberry vines from coming for my new pool $43
200ft Measuring tape reel: $18
Tree removal for 3 trees, stump grinding, and chipping all the leftovers $1275 (I will have not ONE leaf in my pool this year! Okay, I will probably have some. But a few trees less to deal with anyway.:D)

I haven't pulled the trigger on the actual pool yet. I keep going back and forth between the Sharkline and the Signature RTL.

Sharkline Venture sold through Pool Supply World: Flow-Pro II skimmer, resin top and bottom track, I don't think it is a 'hardwarefree' design though, 40yr warrwanty--2yr full defect I think?, $100 cheaper(big whoop all considered :laughblue:)
Signature RTL through ThePoolFactory: (Wilbar, resin top+steel bottom track, "hardware free", 60yr warranty-of which the first 3 is a full defect, Hayward Skimmer, approved for partial burial up to 27 inches--wasn't planning on doing this but I wouldn't mind going a couple inches down I suppose

I need to just buy one. I am sure none are going to disappoint me!

ETA: One more plus for the Signature is that I like the outside pattern better. I sort of dislike the Iris design on the Venture...kinda reminds me of my grandmas bedroom set. I mean all is better than the fake wood grain I remember seeing on pool walls as a kid, but still. No floral design please :)

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I love my Venture! I bought blue iris from Spring Hill Nursery to go around mine. :mrgreen:

3 Packs duct tape for securing cove (*possibly foam bottom too....not sure on that one yet*) 20$

The cove I bought had a sticky back. I don't know how duct tape would hold it tight on the wall. If yours does not have a sticky back, you might want to look into some double sided tape, or, Elmers makes a spray glue in an aerosol can that sticks really quick. You can find it in craft stores.

Yep, the cove comes with a sticky side and it stays put with no problem. If you buy the Sharkline pool, you will need the tape to cover the screws before you install the liner but it doesn't take much.

The pool cove said it did have the sticky back as well but the reviews were hit and miss for whether it was sticky enough to stay put by the time you had finished. I am trying to think of every possible solution to make this process flow smoothly to decrease spousal crabbiness :rolleyes:

So I bought the Signature RTL! The deciding factor, I am pretty sure, was the Iris wall panel on the Venture. I just couldn't hack ruining my nice yard view with the motif from my grandmas house. No joke, she has a bedspread and wallpaper that's basically that exact design.

Trees are gone from the yard and the stumps have been ground down. Woop Woop! We are left with a TON of tree mess now--3 4x4 deep holes from the stumps, a limb pile thats unfathomably huge, and a pickup load of wood chips spread around my yard. Between that mess and looking at my checkbook I did have a small twinge of regret :pale: It's slowly fading!

Honestly, any purchase that prevents a trip to the hardware store mid project is a win in my book. Keep the duct tape and if it's not needed, return it when the pool is up and functional. A friend taught me to keep a box in the garage and during a project, dump the items in it that I don't need. At the end, take the box and receipts back to the store.

Grumpy Cat will be less grumpy if he can work without having to stop.

That was completely my line of reasoning. Plus, I am still sort of on the fence about the pink foam under the pool so if we go that route we have it handy! Either way, duct tape will not go to waste in this house.

I wish we had done the pink foam under our pool :(

The guys who put ours up did a GREAT job on the bottom. We could not see ANY footprints or such. It looked all smooth. Over time some small pits/holes have appeared. These are where the dirt and such collect. The pink foam will help keep that from happening.

Kim

I wish we had done the pink foam under our pool :(

The guys who put ours up did a GREAT job on the bottom. We could not see ANY footprints or such. It looked all smooth. Over time some small pits/holes have appeared. These are where the dirt and such collect. The pink foam will help keep that from happening.

Kim

I was in a rece to do mine because hubby wasn't doing well n I needed to get it done for next day installation. I hate my floor bottom. Its worse than the moon surface n not my best work. I'm. Going to replace the liner in a few years n fix it.

Take your time on it because any dimple, hump or hole will show, especially at night with a light on it.,

I was in a rece to do mine because hubby wasn't doing well n I needed to get it done for next day installation. I hate my floor bottom. Its worse than the moon surface n not my best work. I'm. Going to replace the liner in a few years n fix it.

Take your time on it because any dimple, hump or hole will show, especially at night with a light on it.,

Casey I remember that time in your life. NOT fun but you came out the other side into sunshine and a pool!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.