VtownTom's Pool Build....

May 15, 2008
Katy, TX
Well, today was the day they finally dug the big hole in my new backyard. We closed on our newly built home last week. We wanted to have the dig happen the next day, but mother nature got in the way and gave us some rainy days. Fast forward to today and they've finished all the digging. Gunite is supposed to happen some time next week. I'm hoping everything goes as smooth as possible.

-Tom

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp220/vtowntom/100_6116.jpg

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp220/vtowntom/100_6131.jpg

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp220/vtowntom/100_6138.jpg

Congratulations Tom. If the weather holds out you will be surprised how fast you get to gunite. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. The Bobcat was a lot of fun to watch. It looks like you have the same crew we did.

If you click on the IMG Code link in Photobucket for the picture you want to show you can just paste it into your post. You have to enable BBCode to. You can set that up as a default in your TFP profile.

100_6148.jpg

100_6142.jpg

Thanks for the picture posting advice Mark. I was able to do what you said and get some pics on this forum. I'm hoping for not much rain so we can get the gunite process completed. With Gustav coming, I'm not so sure we can do that. We'll see.

-Tom

The pool is approx. 31' x 22' with the 8' dia. spa. Depths 3' - 4.5' - 6'

We haven't moved into the house yet. It's pretty hectic right now. New fridge, washer and dryer won't be delivered until Sept. 23rd. We're bringing the kids to their new bus stop so it's messing up my work schedule a bit.

Rebar is complete and a good portion of the plumbing was complete yesterday. Supposed to shoot gunite today. Not sure, gotta talk to constr. super. Hopefully I'll post more pics tonight.
-Tom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK....rebar was done last Friday and gunite done today. Gonna try to re-post pic links since I created new folders in my photobucket account.....

Dig:

100_6142.jpg

100_6129.jpg

100_6147.jpg

Rebar:

100_6152.jpg

100_6160.jpg

100_6155.jpg

And before I get asked, yes, they raised the rebar on the bottom before they left for the day. I just never got any pictures of that. Also, I realize somebody might say something about the wood beneath the rebar....doesn't worry me. After going thru the build process of the house, I'm not so anal anymore.

Gunite: (they had already been there for about 5 hours when I arrived):

100_6167.jpg

100_6168.jpg

100_6190.jpg

100_6196.jpg

100_6200.jpg

Forgot to add....

The wife and I picked out materials/colors last Friday.

Oklahoma Wister is the color of the flagstone, the tan color is what we chose for the Kool Deck coating. I can't explain the color of the waterline tile, sorta grayish with a green patina, pretty nice looking. For the plaster we ended up going with PebbleTec Tropical Breeze...

http://www.pebbletec.com/product_swatch ... breeze.jpg

After talking to the builder, we decided to go with the PebbleTec vs. the WetEdge. Had mostly to do with the company actually applying the plaster really (same company that did the gunite, supposed to be very reputable). Anyway, my wife really liked the colors and that' all that matters to me.

Yesterday (Monday the 15th) I couldn't believe it when my wife called to tell me that there was a crew at our house to work on the pool. They started cutting and shaping the flagstone for the stacked flagstone portions of our pool. They also pumped the water out of the gunite shell and the pipe trenches. No pictures, they still have much cutting to do, maybe today.....

It looks like things are progressing nicely. I like your flag stone choice. That is the one I wanted but my wife liked the buckskin better. So you know which one we got.

The pool has been a little chilly but it sure is nice to fire up the spa after a long day cleaning up from the storm.

PB construction super. came by yesterday to do the "pre-interior finish" walkthrough with my wife and myself. Not too many things on the list. A piece of flagstone right in front of the door from our master bdrm to the deck has a high spot, causing slight pooling of water. Couple of deck drain gutter tie-ins missing stub of pipe and adapter. They had installed a drain on both ends of the pool, but they aren't in the deck. After some rain yesterday, we saw that they aren't needed, told them to cap those drains. My wife noticed tiny spots of missing mortar on the stacked flagstone wall. And, a couple of pieces of the stacked flagstone near the sap spillway need to be ground down, could hurt somebody's back if they sat in the spa there.

Overall, nothing major. Once the pebbletec and kooldeck are installed, they'll add future items to a punchlist. Hopefully, there will not be too many items on that list. I realize that even the best PB can take awhile to get back to somebody who has already paid them in full.

Here's the link to my pics. Will add new ones tonight.....

http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp22 ... 0Progress/

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.