Pea Gravel in sand filter?

ksninew

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2008
Woodstock, IL
I need to replace the sand in my filter. It is a 300lb sand filter for a 18,000 gal pool. If I put enough pea gravel in the bottom of the filter to cover the laterals will it cut down the capacity of the filter to much for my size pool?

divepool said:
Nice pool pictures. Did you fill you whole pool from your well? I ask because I am on a well and am thinking about trucking in the water.

Thanks, I did fill the pool with well water and it cleaned up just fine. But I'm having a problem with the sand in my filter and I don't know why.

Glad you used the gravel! No clue as to what caused the original problem, but that shouldn't happen to 4 month old sand!! :evil: It may just be that the PB used a chem that 'gummed' up the sand - this time just be sure to use only the chems we recommend and you shouldn't have this problem again. (You say you fill from your well, any chance of getting us some water test results - something in the back of my brain is wanting to see the chem levels) If it's not too late, please remember to backwash the filter after you've added new sand - the dust in the sand will make the pool cloudy if you don't backwash and rinse the filter before running it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.