Another - What Filter Should I Get, but more action packed and gluten free, Question!

Aug 26, 2012
My current DE filter has a crack on the lower tank section. I'm going to replace with a cartridge based filter. I was given a quote for a Pentair 300 sq ft unit for $750'ish. I believe that filter is oversized for my pool. Here's my pool specs-

17K gallons in ground (I measured it with the water meter when I last filled my pool)
2 speed pentair pump model 1136
bottom drain with a skimmer that are connected. I have to put a plate in to have it suck from the drain
current pump and filter are less than 10 feet from intake

My estimates say that I should use a 100 to 150 sq foot cartridge filter.

Can someone sanity check this situation please!

Larger filters are very very nice to have. The typical filter sizing rules just tell you the size you should not go smaller than, but don't tell you the upper limit, which is much higher.

Especially with cartridge filters, we recommend getting the largest filter you can afford and have room for. Larger filters allow you to go longer between filter cleanings and slightly improve the overall system efficiency.

Dranonymous,

Echoing what Jason said.. I just had a 17K pool installed and it came with a Pentair 520 SF cartridge filter. The Pool Builder said "bigger is better" and that it would extend the time between filter cleanings. I suspect the difference in price would not be very significant when spread over the years you expect to be using the pool, and more importantly, cleaning the filter.

Jim R.

Hello,
Where are you located? I have a 17K pool, uncovered, and open year round. I only have 100 sqft filter. It came with the house. During the summer July/Aug it gets cleaned approximately twice a month. Takes about 10-15 minutes to hose off. During the winter Dec/Jan it gets cleaned after 6-8 weeks or so.
I would like a bigger filter, but won't replace what is currently working. When the time comes to replace I'll go larger (also depends on the wallet.)

The 100 sq ft is the bare minimum, will get the job done, but will require more maintenance. With filters bigger is better, and with pumps smaller is better. (Generally pool pumps are over-sized, and waste the homeowner money.)

I'm in Tucson, AZ and am going to get the filter done and then get the pool cover on to start warming the pool so we can use it April'ish time frame.

I think a filter with 75 sq ft is the minimum I should have, based on running my pump on high speed, which I'd normally run on low. So I figured going to a 120'ish or so size would be appropriate. Also, going bigger would be a better bet since I'm not too sure of my GPM flow rate, given I don't have an estimate of THD (I assumed 10 - 20 ft, given my setup, running the pump on low).

I'm fine cleaning a filter every 3 - 4 weeks, since I had to pull apart my DE filter every so often and that was a good 45 minute job to clean it up. The price jump appears to be when going from a single cartridge to a multi-cartridge setup or is that not always true?

I think it's generally true, but not sure, as I don't normally follow prices on these. I will tell you however it's hard to get too big a filter, and I would certainly suggest going larger rather than smaller. Jason covered it well already, but I would take his advice if it were mine. If you experience dusty conditions (I assume you do) you may find yourself cleaning a smaller one much more often than you like.

I was wondering if anyone can suggest a place to buy cartridge filters that is reasonable in price. I saw replacement filters on Amazon for $45 each, which is really cheap compared to local pool supply stores, just not sure of their quality. The cartridges I have now are the ones that came with the pool and are almost 4 years old. Which brings me to another question. How do you know when they need to be replaced? I've attached a picture of one my current cartridge filters.
View attachment 34490
View attachment 34491

I would do a google search on the filters to find the best pricing. May want to look at E-bay also.
Those filters look in pretty good shape to me. When they get a tear in a pleat then their junk. Otherwise I would think they would be fine until then.

I have a pentair cartridge filter I bought some Pleatco replacement filters and I like them a lot better. The pool is just as clear and they last a lot longer. I don't remember where i got them. Online somewhere. ☺

There are two reasons to replace filters. The most common reason is because they get tears and stop filtering. The far less common reason is if the "clean" filter pressure goes up too much and even an overnight soak in detergent followed by an acid treatment doesn't restore them to normal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.