Building a deck around an 18' AGP.

Most pics I see show the deck boards going UNDER the pool rail. I'm concerned about whether or not the rail on top of my pool wall could handle people sitting on the edge, or using it pick themselves out of the water on to the deck, since the deck wouldn't take any weight off of the rail. We'll have a ladder, but I'm sure the the rail will have people's weight on it. I don't see any mention of weight limits or restrictions...but common sense says the resin rail atop a skinny wall shouldn't be supporting people.

My knee jerk response to this concern would be to put the deck OVER the rail. I know this is frowned upon because it restricts access to the pool wall if you need to replace the liner.

Also, I'm debating between cedar and composite. Have you all had luck with cedar (not rotting)?

So...what have you all done? Some pics? Any advice or suggestions welcome.

Those resin top rails still only have a thin wall of steel under them. They WILL crumple! I'm still amazed I had a guy couple summers ago every bit of 250 lbs. plus slither over and fall OUT of my above ground pool! I certainly would not place decking directly on top of the rails.

My husband spent quite a bit of time and effort getting the cuts just right so the decking went right under the pool caps/rails. It looks wonderful!

We do not have a big bather load. It is mostly just the two of us. When there is a visitor I just ask them to get out of the pool using the ladder. It has not been a problem.

I have done the up and out using the top/side/deck when I thought the pump sounded funny. There was no problem doing so BUT it is NOT something I would do or allow on a regular bases just because I do NOT know what would happen in the long run.

We just used pressure treated wood. That is what was there when we bought the house and it has lasted for a LONG time.

Kim

You can also go even, flush with the top rail. That's the route I'll do when it's time. I'll leave enough of a gap to get the winter between the deck and the top rail.
Other projects have put this on the back burner, but that's my plan.

There are both under and above the top rail decks used on pools. If you go with an over the top rail design, I'd cantilever it over the rail with some small clearance to allow access for the liner and/or winter cover.

As a side note our pool has resin top rails and they're rated for 250lb load. So there are pools out there that put a load rating on the top rails.

Mine has a resin top rail, too. But I didn't get a manual, nor does the store (Family Leisure) have any information about the weight the rail can withstand. They just say that common sense says to avoid putting "too much" weight on it. It's an 18' Diamond Star / Wil-bar pool with SS panel walls and a resin rail.

I went over the top of the rail. I saw what happened to my friends top rail and did not want mine mangled like his was. I have a slight gap between the top of the pool and the framing to allow for the winter cover to slide under. I also designed my deck to be movable in case I need to pull the top rails. My deck is actually two separate pie shaped pieces that, once I pull a couple bolts can be slid back on the framing separately. I built the deck sections in the garage and moved them into position.

I went under the resin rail n really like it. It's mainly my husband and I using the pool, along with our nearly 2 year old granddaughter. I've walked across the rails but I don't weigh 250lbs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.