Potential pool owner

Hello all:

I have looked at this site many times when it has popped up after an internet search and I have appreciate the information...decided I needed to just register and ask some questions.

We are considering purchasing a DIY inground pool kit. Here in Nebraska the pool install companies feel their products are worth their weight in gold ($50,000 for a no frills rectangle pool). I believe I have the necessary skill set to accomplish this feat. Looking at an 18x36 rectangle or a 20x41x28 L. (either one will be fine...considering the L because of the large shallow end for the grand kids)

Here are some questions/comments for your consideration:

We are not sure if we should just do the normal diving pool (without the diving board)....a regular configuration with a shallower deep end...or maybe even a wedge. We want to have a good shallow end for kids.

We live on an acreage and have a septic system....looking at a cartridge filter system instead of sand because of no back-washing needed. Any pros and cons to this?

Probably just going to start out with an auto Chlorinator system. I know SWG makes the water feel better and all that but I haven't seen where it is cost effective versus a regular chlorine system. I know from seeing past threads that the mineral systems are not thought of highly on here.

Also considering Aqua Genies set up on whatever pool we get. With this system do you need a main drain? or is that only necessary with a normal skimmer system?

Also, steel versus polymer.....I have found about equal amount of good for each. What experiences has the forum had with either to prompt a recommendation either way?

That's enough for now.

looking forward to any responses.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,
welcome to TFP, we're glad you finally signed up!

You have came to the right place! Lots of folks here have either installed their own pools, or were their own PB and contracted out a lot of the work.

If you are happy, an inground vinyl liner pool is not very difficult to install. I did a lot of my own with a little help from some friends and some local contractors. I will make some initial comments.

The shape is more of a personal choice. If you want a big shallow area for little ones, the L shape is a great option if you have the space for one.

Deep End
Regaring the deep end. Wise choice on the no diving board. Insurance companies hate them.

Kids always have, always will like to dive head first. And they will do whether there is a No Diving sign or not! I would definitely consider an 8 ft pool if there will be kids around, both now and in the future.

Filter
A cartride filter is a great filter. The pro's is you dont have to backwash them. Backwashing can use up a few hundred gallons of water rather quickly. If you are also on a water well system, then the capacity of the well might be a factor in refilling the pool after backwashing.

I have a cartridge filter and I love it. If you go with a large filter and for that big of a pool I would suggest a 420 sq ft filter or larger, then you wont have to clean it very often (maybe twice a year), and it will mean your pump will be more efficient too.

As for clarity of the water between any of the 3 types of filters, dont believe the hype. The clarity of the water more than any single factor is due to the proper water chemistry such as is taught here at TFP and your vacuuming regimen.

Chlorination
he SWG is a very nice feature to have because you dont have to continually add chlorine or restock your chlorine feeder.
You are correct in that there really isnt an economical advantage over the long term with a SWG. I would like to mention that it isnt wise to depend on a chlorine tab system for maintaince of your Chlorine.

Chlorine tablets contain other chemicals in them also that can wreak havoc on your swimming pool. There are liquid chlorine feeder systems on the market which work well, or you can add liquid chlorine manually each day, which may become something of a chore after the new wears off of the pool.

And you're right, we dont like mineral systems because they add metals to the water which cause stains to the pool which causes a whole new set of unique problems. And if thats not enough, they just dont work very well.

Skimmer and Main Drain
No pool actually requires a main drain. Any pool will function just fine without one no matter which type of skimmer or how many of them you have. Some folks like them, some don't for various reasons. The industry within the past few years is leaning towards no main drains because of safety factors + the added expense of it to the bottom line.

I would like to point out, that with a vinyl pool, having a main drain can just be one more place that may be susceptible to having a leak. For this reason alone, I didnt install a main drain in my pool. (Note: For clarificaiton, Main Drains are not there for purposes of draining the pool. Their intended purpose is for circulation, and maintaining a more constant temperature throughout the water column.)

I have an aqua genie skimmer, its not all it's hyped up to be. If you decide to get one anyways, go ahead and install additional returns.
Also, plumb those returns seperately from the aqua genie return. And put a valve on the aqua genie return line at the equipmetn pad so the AG return can be turned off. You will be glad you did

Acutally, considering the large size of the pool, I would recommend putting 2 regular skimmers on it and skip the aqua genie all together.

Walls
I would recommend polymer walls for a couple reasons.
1. They will NEVER rust and they are just as strong as the steel walls.
2. They weight of them is much less than steel, which will mean they are much easier for a DIYer to install.

Im not bashing steel walls, they have a very long successful track record and there isnt anything wrong with them. But in some years to come, and you have to replace the liner, there will be some corrosion maintenance to do on the steel walls. If at some point in time you go saltwater, the SW will exasperate the corrosion.

I installed my polymer walls myself, so my comments above are based on my own experience installing them.

I hope this helps get you started...

Hello all:

I have looked at this site many times when it has popped up after an internet search and I have appreciate the information...decided I needed to just register and ask some questions.

We are considering purchasing a DIY inground pool kit. Here in Nebraska the pool install companies feel their products are worth their weight in gold ($50,000 for a no frills rectangle pool). I believe I have the necessary skill set to accomplish this feat. Looking at an 18x36 rectangle or a 20x41x28 L. (either one will be fine...considering the L because of the large shallow end for the grand kids)

We are not sure if we should just do the normal diving pool (without the diving board)....a regular configuration with a shallower deep end...or maybe even a wedge. We want to have a good shallow end for kids.

We live on an acreage and have a septic system....looking at a cartridge filter system instead of sand because of no back-washing needed. Any pros and cons to this?

Probably just going to start out with an auto Chlorinator system. I know SWG makes the water feel better and all that but I haven't seen where it is cost effective versus a regular chlorine system. I know from seeing past threads that the mineral systems are not thought of highly on here.

Also considering Aqua Genies set up on whatever pool we get. With this system do you need a main drain? or is that only necessary with a normal skimmer system?

Also, steel versus polymer.....I have found about equal amount of good for each. What experiences has the forum had with either to prompt a recommendation either way?

That's enough for now.

Kevin

Your "costs" of a SWG will average out over the life of the cell. Backwashing a sand filter should not deter you from the consideration of it. Most folks can backwash once or twice a pool season.
Backwashing is probably one of the most overdone things to a pool. Five minutes and you're done!

Hey Kevin,

Depending on your environment sand might be a good option. Where I live, it's very dusty, and carts would fowl more often than I would like cleaning them. If your concern is going to septic with BW, I understand, as I'm on one as well. I simply use the BW for watering trees, shrubs, yard etc. Not trying to sway you, just giving some ideas to ponder before you decide. If you're out in the country, you have some flexibility on those choices.

Hi Kevin, and Welcome to TFP!

I live in Indiana in the middle of corn farming, and I'd recommend you go with a sand filter. During the summer we get a lot of dust, and the sand filter has no problem with it. I've said before that you don't even have to set your beer/coffee down to clean a sand filter.

Consider hiring a backhoe operator who has done pools before. Accurate hole size makes life much easier.

Get a water test as soon as you can. You need to know if you have iron or high calcium hardness, and you want to know what kind of Total Alkalinity you have. These will help you plan your equipment choices and avoid problems.

A main drain is a tossup. It is nice that you have a water supply for your pump in case leaves clog the skimmer or the water level drops, but if there is a problem with the plumbing it is in an awkward place to reach for repair.

SWCG vs. other forms of chlorination is pretty well a wash. Pay up front or pay as you go. You can always add salt to your water and get the good feeling without having a SWCG. Just allow space for it in your plumbing and you can always add it later.

The L is nice with the shallow end, but it can be difficult to cover. You will want to cover it with a solar cover. Our grandkids have all been incredible swimmers by the time they were 5 or so.

Don't neglect a good fence system. I couldn't rest easy with the grandkids at the house if I didn't know the pool area was secure.

Consider a building for storage, changing and a bathroom. Kids hit the water and need to hit the bathroom. Tracking water through the house isn't good. You'll also find that a little shade near the pool is nice. It is hot by the pool if you aren't swimming. The grown ups get tired of the water before the little ones do, and you can retire to the shade and still watch them. Maybe it doesn't need to be done at the same time as the pool, but if you plan for it you can add it later.

Keep us updated on your planning process in this thread. You can take advantage of all the lessons the members of the forum have learned along the way

Hello all:

That's enough for now.

Kevin

Thanks for all the responses. Then information is appreciated.

I live in a country acreage neighborhood.....next to corn fields...so the dust comments are appreciated because it can get dusty sometimes. I will need to really think about the sand versus cartridge filter dilemma. I also have a detached garage close to where the pool will be ...thinking of attaching a septic line to a bath room out there (water is already right there). If not there is a couple other non-invasive choices for that problem.

One other question I have been wondering about is the pump. I am essentially purchasing a package but I am thinking of omitting the pump and filter and getting something myself separately. The pool will have approx. 27,000 gallons...the sellers seem to all offer a 1.5 horse pump with 1 1/2" Hose. With this size of pool is a 2 horse 2 speed or even a variable speed a lot better? They do cost a lot more but if they are more efficient and possibly longer lasting it may be worth the investment.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,
I would recommend to skip the package items like hte pump and filter. Just because they're packaged doesnt necessarily make them the best choice in either performance or quality.

a 1 1/2 HP pump might be fine for that size pool. But there are dependencies, such as;
how long the water pipes will be.
Will the pump be located above the water level?
If so, how high?
Will you go with 1 skimmer or 2 skimmers on that large pool?
how many valves in the water path will there be?
What size will the suction pipe be? (go with 2 inch on suction pipe and 1 1/2 return pipes. Do not skimp on the suction pipe size)
these are all things need to be considered before definitely deciding on which size pump to get.

Recommend whole heartedly to with at least a 2 speed pump. Almost always, you will use the lower speed for regular filtering of the water. The High Speed runs at 3750 RPM, the Low runs at 1725 RPM and provide 1/2 the flow of water but for only 1/4 of the electric use as the high speed does.

Variable speed are a little more efficient, and you could save a little more on electric costs, but unless you have high electric rates, in excess of .20 cents KWH, they generally will not pay for themselves in energy savings. They will not last longer than any other pump, in fact, the electronics in them if anything, add risk to the longeviety of the pump. I will say though, they are FUN to have! And, you can program them to come on at x RPM for x amount of time, multiple times of the day. I love my VS pump!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.