Daily chlorine tabs to bleach

Aug 21, 2008
New member... great site!!!

I am currently using (2) 1" quick dissolving chlorine tabs in the skimmer basket on a daily basis for sanitizing. I would like to begin using bleach, however, I can not determine how much to use on a daily basis. I have viewed the pool calculator, however, I can not figure out how many ounces to use for daily maintenance.

Pool is 12x24 and approximately 7,700 gallons.

Thanks for the help!!

To determine how much you need, you have to know what your CYA levels are at. If you are using pucks, they all contain CYA and you have been adding more each time. The amount of chlorine is all based on size of pool and CYA levels.

The first thing you have to do is test your water for how much chlorine you have. Then you have to know what your target level is; that's what's based on your CYA level. There's a chlorine - CYA chart in the pool school. Then you just plug into the pool calculator the gallons your pool is, what your current chlorine level is, what you want it to be, and the percentage of chlorine your bleach contains, and you get your answer how much you need to add. Also, that little thing at the bottom of the pool calculator that figures out how much ppm the chlorine will raise your pool is helpful. The relationship is the percentage of chlorine in liquid chlorine raises the ppm in a 10,000 gallon pool per gallon, BTW. Therefore, a gallon of 6 percent bleach will raise the chlorine level in a 10,000 gallon pool by 6 ppm; a gallon of 10 percent liquid chlorine will raise the chlorine level in a 10,000 gallon pool by 10 ppm; etc. And once you figure out how much chlorine your pool takes per day, you will end up adding about the same amount per day. So you don't have to keep figuring. And you will memorize a few things. Like with my pool, I add about 1 cup 10 percent liquid chlorine per day, because it uses not quite 1 ppm a day and it's 9400 gallons. I also sometimes will add about 1/4 cup of cal-hypo instead of 1 cup of chlorine. I also know that if I miss a day, I usually drop a little more than 1 and a half ppm, and therefore, I add between 1 and a half and 2 cups liquid chlorine. And I've only been doing this for a couple of months; you get to know your pool's demands extremely quickly. You also control your levels a lot better than you can with tabs in a floater. :-D

I am finally figuring out how much to use for maintenance, it took a few weeks. I had to test regularly with the TF-100 test kit, it gives a much more accurate clorine level. Then I would punch in what the levels for free clorine and cya were, and put in the level I want to be at and came up with the number of ounces to add to get to the desired level. If you read the posts here you will constantly see people urging a good test kit. I was hesitant at first, but it is the best thing I have done so far! I no longer have to go to the pool store at all!

Two 1" (3-ounce) Trichlor tablets would raise the FC by 5.3 ppm in 7700 gallons. That sounds like a rather high daily FC usage so you might be fighting nascent algae already. Either that or the tablets are a lot smaller than I assume (i.e. < 3 ounce weight).

Louserio said:
That right.

I have noticed some algae since I started using the 1" tablets.
What is nascent algae? Am I over chlorinating?

Thanks

I would describe Nascent algae this way: Algae is trying to take hold in your pool, you can't really "see" it yet, you can tell it's there when you have proper testing in place. You will see a large drop in free chlorine overnight, or you may have a high CC level, it's usually suspected when one has trouble keeping free chlorine in the pool, as the algae is consuming the chlorine as soon as you add it, like you are staying one step ahead of it, so your pool hasn't turned green yet. Alot of times pools that have nascent algae are a bit cloudy or just on the verge of a greenish tint...

As to overchlorinating, it would be helpful for us if you posted a complete set of test results. Then we can advise you better. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.