Hurricane Questions

May 22, 2008
Florida
So, with my friend "Gustav" on the way I thought this might be a great time to ask... is there anything specific I should do to or for my pool if we have to evacuate? I can't leave the filter/pump plugged in so I am worried about what I might come home to. And being it's getting to the end of swimming season, I'd like to be able to use it than to fight an algae bloom.

Thanks in advance, as always,

Alli~

Never having that kind of rain that you will have, I will give a couple of suggestions.

Bring the pool up to a good shock value. Let the pump run for awhile to mix it. Then I would turn off and bring the pump indoors to protect it from a flooded yard.

I can't think of much more to do. You are going to have alot of wind, rain and stuff flying around.

What ever you do, GOOD LUCK and STAY SAFE.

The Mermaid Queen said:
I would add: put the cover on it before you go to try to keep as much debris out.

I would be cautious with doing this. Where I live (Texas) it is always windy, and some days we have 40 mile winds regularly. And with 40 mile winds I have had the wind take the cover and bend the walls. So I would think long and hard before doing this. But this is JMO

Poolidiot said:
The Mermaid Queen said:
I would add: put the cover on it before you go to try to keep as much debris out.

I would be cautious with doing this. Where I live (Texas) it is always windy, and some days we have 40 mile winds regularly. And with 40 mile winds I have had the wind take the cover and bend the walls. So I would think long and hard before doing this. But this is JMO

Good point. Intex is not known for its ability to withstand extreme conditions. I also saw a video in which a softside pool went through a hurricane, (ended up being close to the eye of the thing) and it ended up with minimal damage. It did not have a cover on.

And now we have hannah...SHEESH! Could who ever is in charge of this cut a girl some slack!? lol

Yeah I think I wont put the cover on because its not terribly thick. Im affraid something would hit it and rip it. I would rather fish out all the leaves and gunk...

And what is Polyquat 60?

THANKS SO MUCH for all the great advice!

Alli

Swimgirl said:
Polyquat 60 is an algaecide. It's better than the copper stuff, because it doesn't add metals to your water, and it's better than most other algaecides because it doesn't foam.

And if you have to buy it at a Pool Estore, you'll wait forever. I ordered mine on Aug 17 and they charged my card Aug 18. I still don't have it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Where in Florida are you located? In 2004/2005 when we got hit by Charley, Frances, Jeanne and Wilma and lets not forget the two feet of rain we got from Fay. All we did to our pool was to bring it up to shock levels before the storm and then unpluged the pump to protect it from power surges. You will also want to have extra shock, salt, etc so that after the storm passing you can bring the pool back up to shock level. Remember that alot of pool stores will not be open after the storm because they will not have power. Also don't forget to remove your skimmer cover in Frances we forgot to take ours off and after the storm we found it a few hundred feet away. I hope this helps.

Eddie

I'm close to Ft. Walton Beach. (near P-cola) Thanks for the great tips. Everything is out of the pool I am just thinking of water quality when we "recover" from the storms... I have stocked up on shock and chlorine but I might grab a few more bags of shock before the weekend.

THANKS AGAIN! You guys ROCK!! :punkrock:

Polyquat 60, here in Michigan@ Walmart is hth super Algae Stop is $16.(32 oz) no copper. Its the end of the season here for swimming. I'd leave the intex cover off too and ride without it. Good Luck with that storm and stay safe and dry. Let us know when you come out the other side...Kimrst

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.