New filter and Pump Question.

It'll need more frequent back flushing do to it being the min size for your pool. Not to say it won't work.
A 21 inch filter would mean less back flushing due to it being bigger than the 18 inch.
I would recommend a 1 hp 2 speed pump, power flo matrix, with a larger filter than the 18 inch. You'll save money on your electric by running your pump on low speed most of the time. Now you may not find that in a combo package in that configuration. You can purchase each separate.

Yes that will work. Now with that said, that pump is too big and the filter is not that much bigger than the 18 inch. This is the problem with the combo packages. The pump is oversized, too big and the filter too small. Way too much pump for your pool.
The best way to go is the Hayward 21 inch filter and the Hayward 1 hp 2 speed Power Flo Matrix pump. That is a very good pump that a lot of folks use with an AGP. I use one and it's a great pump. Low speed is plenty and you save on your electric bill. I only use high speed when I vac or I need the skimmer to remove more floating debris.

Hello,
For energy savings you should go with a 2-speed motor/pump, with pool pumps bigger isn't necessarily better. It's better to have a lower horsepower pump and a larger filter. (A lower horsepower pump equals energy savings, and a larger filter requires less cleaning.)
FROM: http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/your-pool-energy-hog
If you reduce the speed of a pump motor by half, you get half the water flow, so you will have to operate the pump for twice as long as you would if you used a pump with a more powerful motor. But since the low-speed motor only draws one-eighth as much power as the high-speed motor, it will only require one-quarter as much energy (in theory; actual savings are somewhat less than theoretical savings) to move the water with a smaller pump.

If you look at my signature I've got a 3/4 hp 2-speed motor and only a 100ft cartridge filter. It works fine, but the filter needs more cleaning during the summer months. (twice a month in July/Aug).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.