blue water but can't see deep end - low end is now visible

No, you shouldn't add 12 pounds of dichlor all at once. You should use it as needed to get your chlorine level up to your current goal based on your daily chlorine level testing.

If you want to use the CYA instead of getting dichlor and save another trip to the store, you can put it in a sock and hang the sock in front of a return. That way you will be free to backwash/clean as needed.

Either CYA or dichlor, not both.

Why would you not clean the skimmer? I know if you pour the CYA into your skimmer, so that it gets trapped in your filter to dissolve, you are not to BACKWASH for a week or so, but never heard of not cleaning the skimmer basket. You need to get that junk out of your water. Just pour the CYA into a sock and tie it to your ladder, then you can clean your skimmer and backwash as usual.

My pool has been cyrstal clear now for the past week and half. Thank you very much to all those great contributors. Great site. :)
Here's my reading as of this morning
FC = 4 (was 4 last night also)
CC = 0
TC = 4
PH = 7.2
TA = 80
CH = 220
CYA = 30

What is a good level to maintain FC?

poolhelp said:
What is a good level to maintain FC?

Ben Powell's "Best Guess" Chart:

Stabilizer . . . . . . Min. FC . . . . Max FC . . . 'Shock' FC
0 ppm . . . . ... . . 1 ppm . . . . . 3 ppm . . . . 10 ppm
10 - 20 ppm . .. . . 2 ppm . . . . . 5 ppm . . . . 12 ppm
30 - 50 ppm . .. . . 3 ppm . . . . . 6 ppm . . . . 15 ppm
60 - 90 ppm . . .. . 5 ppm . . . . . 10 ppm . . .. 20 ppm
100 - 200 ppm ... . 8 ppm . . . . . 15 ppm . . .. 25 ppm

According to this chart, your target should be 3-6 ppm FC, so you're right on the money.
Good work!

If you need to raise your CYA, the best way is with CYA, not dichlor.

If you are still trying to get your pool cleaned up, the best way to add CYA is to put it in a sock and tie the sock either to your ladder or somewhere else. Preferably near a return. Leave the sock in the pool until all of the CYA is disolved.

*EDIT* Never mind, I see that you got it. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also recommend the CYA instead of the other stuff... I've only used CYA so Im bias'ed but it raised mine up pretty fast with hanging it from a song in the pool near my return.

I also dilluted some into a empty bleach bottle, shook it up really well and poured it slow out of into the water near a return..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.