Dogs and IG Vinyl Pools

VLR883

Feb 23, 2015
Conway, SC
Hi,

We are on the verge of investing into getting an IG pool this year. So, far we have looked at getting a FG and/or Vinyl IG.

Has anyone had any issues with Vinyl IG when you have dogs? We have '3' Golden Retrievers that are water lovers and there would be "NO" way to keep them from joining us into the pool, for which we don't want to do that. Coz, they have so much fun!!

Of course our main concern would be punctures of the vinyl liner, I know we could train them to come back to the in pool steps to get out.

Professional installation of Vinyl IG is 1/2 the cost of a Viking FG pool that we were also looking into.
FG would be non worrisome for damage, that is the advantage.

I as hoping that someone would have had some experiences with having dogs and IG Vinyl that could advise one way or the other.

Thanks !

Vicki

Sorry... I can't really help you in this regard No experience with vinyl... Just a quick question, have you looked into the costs of gunite/plaster? Some here in the past have mentioned that plaster ended up being cheaper than vinyl. That may not be the case anymore, but just throwing it out there.

Hi Vicki,

Welcome to TFP!

Inherently, dogs in a Vinyl Liner pool are risky. Not much you can really do about it other than train them to get out at the steps, keep their toenails trimmed and keep a eye on them.

Another thing that may help a little, though I wouldnt be able to say how much, is go with a 30mil thick liner which is as thick as you can get. Most likely, a puncture will eventually happen though and will most likely be on the side near the water level.

However, the good news is that liners are easily repaired if they spring a leak. They are an easy fix.

If you install a vinyl pool, there will be a good size piece or 2 of vinyl material left over from the step cut out. This makes great patch material, and since it's the same pattern, a patch wont be terribly obvious to visitors if you have to make one.

Regarding your comment about fiberglass being non-worrisome. I wouldnt say thats exactly the case. Fiberglass has a gelcoat on it that can be scratched and it not easily repairable. However is quite a bit more difficult to scrath it than it is to puncture a liner.

Thanks Divin Dave.

Like you mentioned it most likely will be a puncture at the water level line and would be an easy fix and keeping their nails trimmed would also be helpful!

Just now to pull the trigger on which one would be the best fit for us!

Really it depends on how you view the over the long run.

Initially, plaster is considerably more expensive than vinyl to install. The maintenance is not much difference between the two, except for maintaining Proper CH in a plaster pool, which is easily accomplished.

A vinyl pool will require the liner be replaced anywhere from 5 to 10 years. Depending on your water quality and care of the pool and of course how much fun the dogs and kids have!! :) etc...

Plaster will obvously last longer than vinyl, but if it has to be replastered, its considerably more expensive.
Depending on who you ask, plaster finish will last from 10-12 years or so. Very possibly longer with proper water balance.

so ... If you look at it over a period of 15-20 year perspective, the long term cost will probably not be much different (IMO) between plaster and vinyl due to the cost of new 2 or 3 liner replacements vs 1 replaster job.

If you are like me though, the immediate budget is the driving force in type of pool to install, regardless of all the hooplah I typed above! (just throwing it all out there for you though).

Vicki,
please keep us posted and if you have any more questions, please feel to ask! That's what we are here for!

And whichever way to decide, I'm absolutely sure you will love it!

as a side note, some of the more expensive plaster finishes such a peppletec, should easily last 20 yrs or more if the water is kept balanced, but the price for it is a premium.

Plaster/Gunite I heard was costly for install & to maintain.

I have dogs in the pool all season. We trained them from the get-go to use the stairs by teasing them out with their favorite toys. In over 10 years with a vinyl liner, we have never had a problem. You know your dogs best and how well you can train them. Also, liners are stronger than you think.

With proper training and being consistent, the dogs can learn to use the pool in an appropriate manner with no issues. I would highly suggest you start out with a one on one intro to swimming lessons and rules and not just open the door for all 3 to a free for all. lol

My dogs swims year round in our pool.....maybe like 250 days.

My steps are vinyl covered and she comes right out with never a problem and never a tear. I could envision some damage if a dog can't find the steps and claws on the sides but, like Casey says above, they can most always be trained pretty readily.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dont worry about dogs and vinyl. I have a golden with a viny. From my experience they have no desire to climb out on the sides and much rather the steps. One thing you could do, and I am going to do now that my dog is getting older, there is a ramp flow you can put in the deep end where they can come out the deep end. My dog is strong, swims to the deepend and comes back with no issues but he is 11 this year so I want him to have a place in the deep end for the "oh **** im done" moment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.