Oval AGP harder to DIY install than round?

May 23, 2014
SW Washington
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
I feel like I have been spending every waking minute of my life planning this new pool setup and the only actual thing we have accomplished so far is getting trees removed. :D

I am still trying to nail down a size that will work. A 21' round is the max we can go and will likely look best in the space (all nicely tucked in the corner). The little voice inside me screaming "Buy the biggest pool you can fit!" would like me to purchase a 15-18 x 30-32. The responsible adult in me thinks I should stick with the smaller 21' round. Many of the threads I have looked over talk about the difficulty in putting up an oval. If it is considerably harder than a round I think that might be the tie-breaker I need. Our marriage was not meant to withstand difficult DIY projects :grin:

21' Round pros: Fits nicely in the yard, easily 1k cheaper than the ovals, more 'structurally sound' (which I get...but has there ever been a wall blowout or other known catastrophe on a properly installed oval pool?), whirlpools!, won't be sitting over root systems of trees we've just had removed

Oval pros: More gallons of pool to swim in! (that's really about it. But it's pretty compelling.)

I had my oval installed, but I can't imagine any more "degree of difficulty" in setting one up vs. a round one. Walls are walls and uprights are uprights............and more importantly........level is level. You can also get 10 feet more away from other "poolsters" in one!

Nobody here is going to say that a smaller pool is better! :-D

And i agree that i don't see a logistical reason for an oval pool to be more difficult. I have put up a couple of round pools. Nothing to it, very easy to put together an above ground pool. Leveling the ground? Definitely NOT easy. Of course, that depends how flat and level your yard is to start with. Mine, not so much.

I debated this too. An oval has to have more supports on the sides, because the water will always want to push out on those long flat sides. Whereas a round pool there is even pressure spread out equally. The pool I was looking at needed extra supports dug in the ground. It also required 8(?) cinder blocks buried at each side that the supports sit on. My ground is clay, that was hard as cement. So getting a single 2 inch paver block level took about an hour for each one.

The pool store also made a good point. If you take a round pool, and cut the sides off, that is the swim space you will lose going to an oval. So depending on the length, you could lose some swim space if you go oval. For me the final decision was made when the underground electric went across my yard and would of cost me 3k to get moved.

Best discovery ever: I measured wrong and I can actually fit a 24' round :snorkle: I am so excited! The oval was going to cut too much into usable yard space but the 21' round was too small. I didn't feel good about either one. But I will be *supremely* happy with a 24'! My other half is slowly warming to the idea of a bigger 'real' pool. He still doesn't understand why we would need more than our 15' Intex....some people!

I have been waiting for him to go to sleep to research our next pool purchase (he totally thinks I have lost my mind. Might be true.)

You'll love the 24 n he will too! Check out SHARKLINE pools at poolsupplyworld. I love my Venture 54"wall.

My husband did not want a pool. It took me 3 years to plan the whole thing n make it happen. He's in it everyday!!! If I can't find him, that's the first place I go n he's on his raft soaking up the rays! If it's rainy or cloudy, he complains because it cuts into his pool time. lol He uses the pool more than I do! lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I feel like I have been spending every waking minute of my life planning this new pool setup and the only actual thing we have accomplished so far is getting trees removed. :D

I am still trying to nail down a size that will work. A 21' round is the max we can go and will likely look best in the space (all nicely tucked in the corner). The little voice inside me screaming "Buy the biggest pool you can fit!" would like me to purchase a 15-18 x 30-32. The responsible adult in me thinks I should stick with the smaller 21' round. Many of the threads I have looked over talk about the difficulty in putting up an oval. If it is considerably harder than a round I think that might be the tie-breaker I need. Our marriage was not meant to withstand difficult DIY projects :grin:

21' Round pros: Fits nicely in the yard, easily 1k cheaper than the ovals, more 'structurally sound' (which I get...but has there ever been a wall blowout or other known catastrophe on a properly installed oval pool?), whirlpools!, won't be sitting over root systems of trees we've just had removed

Oval pros: More gallons of pool to swim in! (that's really about it. But it's pretty compelling.)

I can't speak to the difficulty in installation or blown out walls, but based on your post, perhaps you need to stick with the round. I don't recall seeing a blown out wall oval, but I certainly could have missed that here. If an oval would blow out your marriage...maybe better to go round....:lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.