First time problem with algae

May 13, 2008
First off, let me say that I'm pretty new to this. Just got this pool this year. Didn't have any problems until the last week or so. Got cloudy and then was away for a bit and came back to pretty greenish water. My CYA seems to be ok at around 20 to 40 (I'm using the dip strips to test). PH was slightly low and TA was fine. I'm assuming my FC must have been too low and allowed it to start growing. Whats the first step I should take? From what I've read I would assume bring PH up a bit, then shock then.......
Thanks

Posting a full set of numbers would be helpful for us to help you figure out your algae troubles.

I suggest purchasing a reliable test kit. There is a link in my signature for a test kit that most every member here uses.

Do some reading at our pool school section of the form. There is a lot of helpful information there to help you get your water sparkling!

I just want to emphasize that getting a top quality test kit will make this much much simpler. The solution to most problems is simply to keep the water properly balanced. A good test kit will make that much simpler. I recommend a kit form TF Test Kits, see the link in my signature. The Taylor K-2006 is also good. A top quality test kit is the best investment in your pool you can make.

In the mean time, post all the numbers you do have and we can suggest a specific course of action.

Thanks for the replies. I have looked at the TF kits but unfortunately, they do no ship to Canada. I'm going to look at getting a box in the US where I could perhaps get it shipped and then pick it up. Any other ideas?
As for the pool, I shocked last night with liquid chlorine per the chart, and left the pump running 24/7. As of this morning the pool was much clearer. I retested and the FC was up around 10 and the CYA still steady around 30-40. I will retest again when I get home tonight. Also had a lot of rain overnight and more expected today and tomorrow.

rovers1973 said:
Thanks for the replies. I have looked at the TF kits but unfortunately, they do no ship to Canada. I'm going to look at getting a box in the US where I could perhaps get it shipped and then pick it up. Any other ideas?
As for the pool, I shocked last night with liquid chlorine per the chart, and left the pump running 24/7. As of this morning the pool was much clearer. I retested and the FC was up around 10 and the CYA still steady around 30-40. I will retest again when I get home tonight. Also had a lot of rain overnight and more expected today and tomorrow.

OK, I brushed the entire pool last night, and it stirred up a bunch more algae and went green again. I checked the levels again (before brushing) and FC was still around 10, CYA still around 30-40. This morning green was gone again but still cloudy and levels still about the same. Do I just repeat this process until the algae doesn't show up anymore?

To reliably kill algae you want to raise the FC level to around 15, given your CYA level, and keep it there by testing and adding more chlorine frequently, at least twice a day. If you use lower FC levels, or let the FC level drift down too much between chlorine additions the algae just starts growing back and it becomes very difficult to rarely kill it all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.