Br= 10
PH= 8.2

FC= 13
CC= 1
CH= 600
TA= 140
CYA= 40
A few things spring out at me.
1) If you did the FAS-DPD powder test, you don't need to do the yellow OTO test.
2) You can see a discrepancy. One says FC is 5, the other says 13. Oops. Believe the 13.
3) Unless you're using Bromine as a sanitizer, that reading is useless. Ignore it.
4) With FC above 10, your pH reading is reading falsely high. Don't add acid to lower it, or you'll go too low.
5) Repeat that FC & CC test. If CC is really 1, something isn't right.
6) Your FC is a bit high for your CYA level. Are you in the SLAM process, killing algae? If not, you're too high. It probably won't hurt anything but it will be rough on swimsuits.
7) If you're running a saltwater chlorine generator, your CYA level needs to be raised.
8) You forgot the most important part -- what does the water look like? The only people impressed with your readings are here. Your guests only care about how clear the water is.

Have you read the ABCs of Pool Chemistry, Water Balance for SWGs and How to Use Poolmath? Start there. Also turn down that SWG so you can get an accurate pH test. Try the tests again in a day or two, and if the CYA is still only at 40, plan to raise it. Adjust the pH as soon as you get a reliable pH test result. Lowering pH regularly will eventually lower your TA to a stable respectable number. You don't need to obsess on it. You can't do much about high CH if you live in a hard water area. Get the pH, CYA, and FC under control. By then, you'll understand how things work a little better and you'll probably be able to figure out everything else on your own.

i have been busy and havent had time to do much to the pool except skim and brush it (and it stayed looking good)
weve had some rains here and temps are up so i retested to see what its like

water temp 71F
water looks nice and clear just like before
doesnt smell like chlorine

ph = 8.2
FC = 3
CC = 1 (i dont know maybe im looking too critical)
TA = 110
CYA = 25

ok so i added some muriatic acid and then some CYA
should i have done the dichlor or trichlor instead? ... but i mean isnt the SWG supposed to make chlorine?

ph = 8.2 --> 7.5
FC = 3 ----> 2
CC = 1 ----> 0.5
TA = 110 --> 100
CYA = 25 --> 40

Well, 3 day old test results are not very helpful.

If the FC is ever too low you should immediately raise it with bleach.

How much CYA did you add? What was your target?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like you are only testing (or at least only posting) every 3 days ... that is not going to cut it while you are trying to straighten out your pool.

What does the water look like?

I started testing weekly seemed stable until I added the Muriatic acid/or weather got hotter, and the chlorine started to drop
The water looks great just like in the winter
It tastes more salty today but no chlorine taste/smell

Last night I added ~60oz of Clorox 8% (pool calc estim 64 for goal of 4)
12h later

pH still 8
FC 5
CC 0.5
TA 110
CYA 45

Are you running any waterfalls or bubblers? Those will increase your too. Chlorine consumption increases as sunshine and temperatures increase. Can you increase the output of your SWCG? Or increase the run time of the pump so the SWCG runs longer and makes more chlorine?

the attached spa spills over into the pool so it is kind of a waterfall
i increased the time from 6h overnight in winter to 12h total hours (3h runs with 3h breaks in between - this seems to skim the pool real good)
i just increased the SWG from "40%" to "50%"

Ok, keep testing chlorine until you get it dialed in. Has it been a week since you added cya? If so it is time to test it again. 45 is too low, need to get it up to 60-80. It takes a week for cya to fully dissolve and read correctly on the test.

Here is some info for you to read on water chemistry and levels for a saltwater pool.
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Water Balance for SWCGs
PoolMath, will tell you how much to add to adjust your levels.

still dont have a handle on the SWG keeping chlorine stable, but its been raining and what not...
here's today's tests after all the rain (i added a jug of clorox last night when cl was 1, and some muriatic acid)

Cl = 5
pH = 7.6
TA = 50 - poolcalc says add 211oz NaHCO3 for goal 60-80
CH = 200 - poolcalc says to add 160oz of CaCl for Goal 250-350
salinity = 2400 (my SWG says goal is 3000)
CYA = 30

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.