Leaking at the Pump?

May 17, 2013
I have a Hayward paper filter and the PVC plumbing to a pad next to it with a Hayward impeller and Emerson motor. I had Leslie's install it a few years ago. It is relatively new and works fine. I have a little protective housing covering it.

I have a leak when I look at the concrete pad by the motor. I checked all the PVC and it is dry. It seems to be near the motor/impeller on the bottom. The motor has a fan below you can see air moving.

I think there is a rubber seal between the impeller and motor. I am thinking of tightening the bolts between the two units. It is a small leak but I am stumped. Thanks for any help. :(

The tag line below is wrong. It is a smaller pool with a single speed motor.

Might be the shaft seal. Their inexpensive overall. Maybe $10 bucks or so. If you can provide the pump info Model and such might be able to provide more info.

It is a Hayward SP and I cannot see the model number on the cheap foil model and serial number. I tried to upload a picture but they only accept small file sizes. Is it a rubber seal between the motor and Hayward impeller? Thanks.

Hi, On the black plastic housing of the pump is a black and silver label. it should be on the side near the basket. It should have a model and serial number. I can get the seal model number for you then. I will also Private Message you my email address and you can send a picture.

John the Hayward tech.

If your pump is a Hayward Super 2 then you would need the AS-1521 standard shaft seal or the PS-3868 heavy duty seal for saltwater pools. These seals are easy fxes, with plenty of guides online to show you how to replace.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.