Location of returns?

Newz54

Mar 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I am resurfacing and replumbing my old pool and am adding some extra returns for better skimmer action. Trying to get some water flow to the skimmer especially for the far end of the pool. Does this placement look ok? The complexity is that I am probably going to seal off the drain as it has old copper. I know this is not a great idea but the alternative is to jack into the shell down to the drain to replace the pipe. I am in earthquake country and don't want to weaken the integrity of the shell and cause cracks every time we have a minor quake.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. pool return.jpg

You want to setup a consistent circular flow pattern that carry surface debris to the skimmer. Two of those returns, top left and right side top, could be used to setup a nice counter clockwise circulation pattern. The top middle return isn't very useful. The lower right return could be used to clean the steps (I assume those are steps in the bottom right), but would be better if you were using a clockwise flow pattern or could put it on the left side of the steps wall, right in the steps.

Thanks. So something like this? I'll put the return on the second step level to take care of the top and lower step. Concerned that a circular motion (counter clock) will miss the middle of the pool and leaves will drop to the bottom from there. That upper right return could be angled to continue the motion but angle more directly to the skimmer?
pool return2.jpg
steps.jpg

If you get a good circular motion going it works very well. There won't be any problems with leaves accumulating in the middle of the circle. A consistent (more or less) circular motion gets you the best surface velocity you can get and is the most likely to pickup debris from everywhere in the pool and carry it towards the skimmer.

On the other hand, with both of the top returns aimed towards the skimmer you won't be able to create a consistent water motion, the two returns will drive things in their path towards the skimmer and to some extent you will create two circles, one to the left and one to the right of the two top returns, but the bulk water won't move in a consistent way as the upper pair and right hand pair of returns "fight" each other, creating turbulence and inconsistent water movement.

Skimmer is up wind unfortunately. Could move the skimmer to the other side but then I have leaves all collecting in the shallow end. Rather have a clean shallow end vs the deep end. We don't get wind very often so it is rare that I will be fighting wind.

Scan Feb 26, 2015, 9_29 AM-page1.jpg

To minimize concrete cutting for re-piping , several of my contractors want to run one loop for all the returns. How bad of an idea is that considering I will have to regulate the flow with sized eyeballs. Best way would be to run a line to each side of the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.