Leak after closing now liner pulling out of rim

Aug 26, 2012
Mahomet, IL
After closing last fall my in ground vinyl lined pool sprung a leak, apparently somewhere near the deep end. The liner is just 3.5 years old. It's a 20x40 inground, 8 ft at the deep end. Most all of the water drained put very quickly except a foot or so at the deep end, and it was too cold to do anything with the leak by then. So, I left it, pulled the winter cover back but only after some of the water tubes had fallen into the pool. Now, the liner on one side is pulling out of the rim/edge in several places. It's still too cold to do much with it. Today I looked behind the liner and it looks like there are sheets of something, plastic maybe, that have folded and/or slid down the sides of the shell behind the liner. What is this stuff, and does it sound like this could be a DIY project as soon as it warms up enough to get into it? Any help is greatly appreciated. This is just my 2nd winter and going into 3rd summer so I still am learning a lot. Thank you!

Hi Becki,
Sorry to hear about the liner leaking and pulling off the walls. Thats a real bummer

The sheels of something sliding down the wall that you mention is probably wall foam. Some builders or homeowners install a thin layer of foam to the pool walls and then the liner over that.

If you are handy you might be able to DIY a liner replacement., Google "installing pool liner" online and on you tube, you can get a feel for what installing a liner requires. Its not hard to do but you need to be aware of the process and just be careful.

Unfortunately, its most likely you will have to replace the liner with a new one and not just reinstall the one there now. Its almost always the case that a liner will be destroyed when the water leaks out of the pool.

Hi Becki,
I cant specifically say it will worth investigating the leak when it gets warm. No telling what condition the liner will be in by that time. In almost all cases, even if the liner hasnt ripped at the corners, and even if you could get it back in the liner track, it will be about impossible not to have big wrinkles all over the bottom. Several of the members here at TFP can attest to this. Ive yet to see an acceptable (to me), liner re-install.

If you have to replace the liner, then your pool will have to be measured accurately so the liner company can provide one that fits your pool. Most likely, no one will sell you a liner without the dimensions.

If you have the origianl paperwork stack from when the pool was built, then maybe there is a "dig sheet" and that dig sheet will have the pool dimensions on it.

If you dont have the dig sheet, any you dont feel you can accurately measure the pool, then contact your local pool store or Pool Builder (PB) and they can measure it for you, for a fee of course. Either can also of course provide and/or install the liner for you too. PB's and Pool Stores usually have favorite liner companies and are hesitant to deviate from their suppliers. Usually because they get prices below retail for repeat business. So you have to do your research to get the big picture.

I have a Vynall Liner and I like it. Seems to be good quality, but Ive only had it for 1 1/2 years, but they have a good reputation, especially when it comes to product support and customer service.
http://vynall.com/

Latham also has a good reputation but I have no personal experience with them.
https://lathampool.com/products/inground-pool-liners

Google is your friend. You can find lots of info about the different manufacturers.
Mayble some other TFP folks will chime in with additional recommendations too.

Pool stores who install pools and pool builders ususally have liner samples that you can look at also. It would be worth at least taking a tour of your local suppliers to have a look at them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.