DE Filter operation

Feb 21, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Why has the DE started to clump?filter trbl.jpg I'm running an in-ground, plaster pool in the back yard, approximately 20 X 40, 27000 gallons; for several years after moving in I had no trouble (other than the usual) in cleaning my DE filter grids. Last year I replaced the manifold and grids, and now I continually get what looks like DE clumping on the top of the manifold. I'm looking for suggestions on trouble shooting this. My filter is Nautilus DE Model NS-36 Thanks.

Hi Keith,
welcome to TFP.

there are lots of reasons this could happen. Most notably chemicals. There are all sorts of pool products on the market that can and will clog up filters.

Also, imporper water balance provides a possiblity of calcium deposits in filters.

So ultimately, I would think that something you are putting in the water is causing this issue which is chemically reacting with other stuff and clogging up your DE. As a note, Phosphate Remover seems to be somewhat notorious for clogging filters.

Us here at TFP use a regimen of water management that only allows for minimal additons of chemicals and only when accurate testing of the water shows what the water actually needs. And we base our methodology on science and chemistry instead of the sales pitch from chemical makers and other folks like pool stores that have financial interest in the mix. As a result, us TFPers dont have experiences like yours.

If you are interested in having a TroubleFreePool with minimal expense and effort, then click on the Pool School button at the top of the page. There is a ton of great info available.

Another possibility is using too much DE. If you use too much DE the excess tends to settle in certain spots inside the filter and build up there. Once it gets mixed with some organic debris caught in the filter and then has time to settle it can form a fairly solid mass. We have seen much worse than that, filters where the entire inside of the filter was one solid block of DE.

Thanks - I have been careful with how much DE I put in - I will review that aspect again. I have not been as careful about cleaning the filter grids - just rinsing thoroughly - so I'm going to try to learn more about how the pool chemistry could be a contributor to the problem.

Chemistry is the key Keith,

Click on the Pool School Button to start and begin with the ABCs....

There is a lot of info in there and its a lot to try and grasp ... obvously no one will expect you to learn it all instantly, so feel free to ask any questions you have. We'll be glad to help out.

Thanks - I have been careful with how much DE I put in - I will review that aspect again. I have not been as careful about cleaning the filter grids - just rinsing thoroughly - so I'm going to try to learn more about how the pool chemistry could be a contributor to the problem.

If you only backwash, you should only recharge with about 80% of the full DE amount or you may overload the filter. Backwashing is not very thorough. At least once a year you should fully disassemble the filter for a very good cleaning, then recharge with the full amount.

If you only backwash, you should only recharge with about 80% of the full DE amount or you may overload the filter. Backwashing is not very thorough. At least once a year you should fully disassemble the filter for a very good cleaning, then recharge with the full amount.
I rarely backwash, just because I've never found that to be very effective. I always break down the filter grid and give the whole assembly a good rinse, then start with fresh DE. Last year I probably went through the routine 3 or 4 times, especially since the clumping problem was so consistent. Thanks for the interest.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.