Any thoughts on the AQUA Comfort heat pump?

grottoguy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
NJ
My PB is giving me an AQUA Comfort Heat pump, but I have two concerns with it. One, ACQU Comfort does not submit their pumps to AHRI for testing, so all of their numbers (BTUs, etc) are suspect. Two, I am trying to find out if this pump will automatically turn on my Pool's circulation pump if the water is below the desired temperature (as the heat pump cannot run unless the pool pump is on). ACQU Cal seems to do this (if you purchase an additional option) and Jandy also seems to do this. If the heat pump cannot turn on the pool pump then the heat pump will not be operating at all times that you would want it to be on (since your pool pump will not be scheduled to be on all the time).

The Aqua Cal and Aqua Comfort operate at a low55 decibels, which is also something to consider. I don't know what Jandy operates at.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the AQUA Comfort heat pump? They operate only through PBs - you can't purchase it directly.

I don't know anything about the AQUA heat pump. Any heat pump will have to have the ability to turn on the pump periodically to check the water temp. I would insist that the PB installs compatible equipment that will work together and properly. If PB cannot assure and warranty that the AQUA heat pump will communicate and work with the Jandy VSpump and automation then he should install a Jandy heat pump.

My PB is giving me an AQUA Comfort Heat pump, but I have two concerns with it. One, ACQU Comfort does not submit their pumps to AHRI for testing, so all of their numbers (BTUs, etc) are suspect. Two, I am trying to find out if this pump will automatically turn on my Pool's circulation pump if the water is below the desired temperature (as the heat pump cannot run unless the pool pump is on). ACQU Cal seems to do this (if you purchase an additional option) and Jandy also seems to do this. If the heat pump cannot turn on the pool pump then the heat pump will not be operating at all times that you would want it to be on (since your pool pump will not be scheduled to be on all the time).

The Aqua Cal and Aqua Comfort operate at a low55 decibels, which is also something to consider. I don't know what Jandy operates at.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the AQUA Comfort heat pump? They operate only through PBs - you can't purchase it directly.

Did you decide on the AquaComfort?

I am leaning toward dropping the heat pump and getting a Jandy JXI 400000 heater. I can't find anyone that is truly happy with a heat pump and am concerned that it won't keep the heat at a constant 85 degrees in the summer. I realize that in the beginning and end of the summer it is not expected to do that but I am concerned that even in June through late August it will at times fail to achieve that threshold. I am probably going to have the electrician wire for the heat pump, however, so that I can easily add it if the gas becomes too expensive to run. My PBA only offers that particular Jandy in case you are wonder if why I picked that one.

I don't know much about AQUA heat pumps in particular, but they shouldn't have any problem maintaining 85 during the middle of the summer in NJ. That is kind of the ideal situation for a heat pump. Heat pumps work best at maintaining water temperature when the air temperature is fairly warm. They are not so good when the air is below 50 or for heating starting from cold in a hurry. Gas heaters are best for making large temperature changes rapidly, I think of it as event heating, heating only for that one nice weekend in the fall for example.

Whatever kind of heater you get, running it all the time is going to be expensive. In NJ a heat pump should cost noticeably less to operate than a gas heater.

I am leaning toward dropping the heat pump and getting a Jandy JXI 400000 heater. I can't find anyone that is truly happy with a heat pump and am concerned that it won't keep the heat at a constant 85 degrees in the summer. I realize that in the beginning and end of the summer it is not expected to do that but I am concerned that even in June through late August it will at times fail to achieve that threshold. I am probably going to have the electrician wire for the heat pump, however, so that I can easily add it if the gas becomes too expensive to run. My PBA only offers that particular Jandy in case you are wonder if why I picked that one.
I have a 10yr old Warm Water heat pump, got it used, for free from the guy who installed my pool. It's an 85KBTU unit. It constantly keeps my water at 88 degrees from end of May to mid September, and I'm on Long Island. The electric for it cost aprox $400 for the season. It started leaking at the end of last year and it's time for a new one. I was looking at the AquaComfort myself. That's why I was following your thread.

LI pool guy, do you have a cover on the pool? I won't be able to have one- the shape of my pool (and the rocks inside it) would make it difficult to use one. If you do have a cover it would be a lot easier to maintain the temperature. If you don't have a cover then maybe I will get a heat pump. You were the only one who was able to tell me that the temperature was easy to maintain. Others indicated that a cold night would cause the temp to fall below their threshold. That's why I was hesitant to get it. The only reason I was going to get the AcquComfort was because my PB only deals in that brand. But it does not permit you to set the heat pump to automatically turn the pump on when the pool needs heat. Rather, the heat pump needs to be set on a timer with the pool pump. The Jandy heat pump and the Aqucal can automatically turn the pool pump on when the water temperature falls below the applicable threshold. Thus, I would not recommend the AquaComfort.

ABSOLUTELY, I use a solar cover. For everyone that tells you a solar cover doesn't generate heat is full of it. My pump is scheduled to run from 6am to 9am for circulation, then from 3pm to 7pm. I get home from work around 2:30p and when I stick my hand under the cover to test the water, the top 6" of water is about 95 degrees. My pump tells the heater to come on, I'm not automated. Once it detects flow, it will figure out what the temp is. We swim after dinner everyday and all day on weekends. Once you get to temp, a heat pump is the way to go. It comes on within 2 degrees of sensing temp and turns off within 1 degree. It runs minimally. Yes it take longer at the start of the season, but the cost of running the gas line and permits is nuts. At least here it is. Once you get to temp, the cost of maintaining temp it is nothing. Yes, the gas heater is awesome for periodical heating, but a heat pump is hard to beat. If you place the unit in a sunny area it is better, it picks up ambient heat, so the more sun and closer to a fence, that protects from wind and reflects radiant heat, the better it is. To me a gas heater is great for weekend swims, but if you are like me and like to jump in the pool whenever you feel like it, a heat pump is the way to go.

I think most people praise the gas heater for its instant heat. I really don't think they understand the heat pump process and cost value of maintaining heat as opposed to generating heat. A heat pump is basically a central AC system that works in reverse. They are very similar in operation. What costs more; cooling your house from 78 to 74 on a constant basis, or 90 to 74 when ever you turn the AC on? Or... with a gas heater in the winter, constantly heating your house from 67 to 70, or heating it from 50 to 70 whenever you get cold. Maintaining is ALWAYS easier than generating.

Equate it to your gas consumption in your car. What uses more gas; Going from stopped to 60 or cruising from 50 to 60. Obviously, going from 50 to 60 uses less gas. Once your at cruising speed your MPG goes up.

I just noticed that grottoguy's pool is 1200sf and 46,000 gallons. That is BIG! LI-PG is happy heating 7,000 gallons with an 85k btu heat pump and a cover. What is the biggest heat pump? 140k btu? Heating that giant pool with gas is going to be expensive. A heat pump will be a lot more economical. But, I still agree with you, every time you ask someone about a heat pump there are always reasons why it doesn't always work. Wind, cloudy, cold night, humidity, whatever. One thing for sure is that wind and rain will make your pool cold in a hurry!

Maybe if budget allows you need both! Heat pump to mostly maintain temp and gas to get it the rest of the way there when you need the extra boost. I think I would be inclined to start with the biggest heat pump you can find and add gas later if needed rather than start with gas and switch to heat pump if it costs too much. I don't think there is any doubt that it will cost more to heat with gas than with a heat pump.

I am still on the fence about a heat pump myself. Wife says yes, so we are getting closer. But, I am scared of that electric bill.

46000 gallon pool is going to push the limits of any heat pump. We have several 40k plus pools with Pentair heat and cool units and they just do keep them at desired temps. Really need two units on this big of a pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I need to run the gas line now and once I do it makes sense to just hook up the heater. But if I can run the electric for the heat pump I can try the pool out and see how warm it gets without the pump and without using an excessive amount of gas. in July my pool will get sun from around 10-3 (I looked last year when we wer contemplating the pool) so am concerned the pool won't get enough sun, but I'm not sure I want to commit the finds for the heat pump (PB charges 6000 including installation)

Yeah, the gas heater are pretty cheap, might as well put that in now. You can add the heat pump in fall after you see how it goes. $6k seems a little high, does that include install, pump and electric run? If so, not that bad. I was looking at pentair heat pumps today and they are about $3600.

I have the Aqua Cal Heater/Chiller (136KBTU). It takes a long time to get the temp up from 60-87°, but then seems to do OK maintaining it. If nighttime temps get really low, I lose about 3°. I am not using a cover. Chilling in mid summer to get the water back in the 80s is much faster, and I usually do that at night. I had them install it in the sun, and up against a wall.

The 6000 included installation and electric. If I wanted the more powerful heat pump that needed a 50 amp service instead of 40. It was 6900 which included extra cost of heat pump and extra electric.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.