adding acid for first time tomorrow, a few questions...

crackers8199

Bronze Supporter
Jun 5, 2014
Lake Elsinore, CA
so i've been reading and watching videos pretty much all night to prepare for this, just wanted to ask a few questions to make sure i do it right and don't kill myself or the pool in the process...

1) recommended way to do it seems to be to pour it slowly from just above the water surface in front of a return jet in the deep end, right?

2) does it matter whether my filter valve is on skimmer or main drain? right now i have it halfway, that's where the pool builder left it when they finished the pool...

3) should i take my auto pool vac out while adding acid?

first-time pool owner and i feel like i have so much to learn...i've been trying to read as much as i can but it's kinda overwhelming at the moment!

Welcome to TFP!

1) Yes that is correct, with the pump running during the addition and for at least 30 minutes afterwards.

2) For acid it doesn't matter. In general half way is usually the best position.

3) Removing the vac is recommended, but not required for all chemical additions. You definitely want it out if you are SLAMing the pool. Otherwise it makes only a minuscule difference.

Hi Cracker,
Welcome to TFP. Dont worry, pool care isnt as hard as it may seem to you right now.

the process you posted is spot on.
Pour it slowly in front of a return. You can pour a little in front of each return .. .spread it around a bit so it doesnt concentrate in one spot.

Skimmer/ Drain is fine as it is.

recommend to remove the vac....

Good luck!

Welcome! :wave:

The only thing I can add to what's been said is to wear old clothes and pay attention to which way the wind is blowing so you don't breathe the fumes. You'll never splash bleach or acid on yourself unless it can destroy your good clothes, and once you get a whiff of acid fumes, you won't make that mistake again. ;)

good afternoon, all! just did this (finally, a week later), wasn't nearly as bad as i expected...although i did take precautions - mask, goggles, and gloves on, hose right next to me. acid was poured about an hour ago and the pool brushed immediately to disperse it, pump has been on high since just prior to adding the acid...how long do i wait before testing the water again? pool store said don't do anything for at least four hours - does that mean around 5pm i can take another sample?

how long does it take for the water to be safe to be in?

If added as we recommend, you can retest after half an hour after adding muriatic acid.

Generally it is 1/2 hour for liquid chemicals, a full hour for most solid (powdered/granular/etc) chemicals, a week for solid cyanuric acid.

Four hours is over kill to the extreme. Thirty minutes after adding liquid Chems like bleach and acid are adequate for testing or swimming, provided the system is circulating. I prefer to give an hour for testing but that is just OCD on my part.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.