Heat Pump recommendations please ...

ashmoussa

LifeTime Supporter
Hi TFP,
I am looking for recommendations for a heater for a fiberglass pool in NJ with specs as follows:
Size: 16 x 40
Depths: 3'6" to 6'6"
Gallons: 17,000
Water surface: 468 sq.ft.

My rates for Gas are:
Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 5.44.21 PM.png
and my rate for Electricity is 0.14

I hear that heat pumps are more economical but don't work below 40's. Which I'm fine with. I wouldn't want to go outside swimming in anything lower than 40 anyway. I want the pool temp to be around 80ish. The average temps for NJ are as follows:
Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 6.04.10 PM.jpg

What are your recommendations?? (makes, models, sizes, etc...)

Thank you for all your help in advance!!!! :thumleft:

A heat pump can be a good choice if you are planning to heat the pool for weeks at a time. Gas heat is much better if you want to heat the pool now and then for a day or two. Many people who think they are going to heat the pool all the time end up giving up on that once they discover how expensive it is.

I would get the same brand as your pump and automation for maximum compatibility. Given your location and relatively low temps, compared to Texas anyway, I would get the biggest one they have.

With the amount of snow we get up here it would be impossible to swim year round. I'm just looking to add those couple of months b4 and after the normal 4 month swim season.
As for solar covers, what do you recommend?? And what would be the best way to use it to maximize the amount of heat retention??
Thx again Jason

As long as your average air temperature is at least 50 degrees, you should be able to get 80 degrees pool water. A solar bubble cover would be great to help retain the heat.
AquaCal.com has a sizing program and cost comparator that shows you the anticipated cost to operate.

As long as your average air temperature is at least 50 degrees, you should be able to get 80 degrees pool water. A solar bubble cover would be great to help retain the heat.
AquaCal.com has a sizing program and cost comparator that shows you the anticipated cost to operate.

You guys must have magical heat pumps as I've had a hayward and a Jandy now and they work like garbage below 70 degrees air temp. In the winter here which is still likely warmer than what the OP will see in Summer in New Jersey, the heat pump flat our running 24 hours a day couldn't keep up to keep the pool at 80. Probably work a lot better if you can deal with using a pool cover all the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Super!!
But I heard problems with the bubble type solar covers, with the bubbles disintegrating and getting into everything. Is that true?
Thx Sean.

Yes, that is true after their useful life is exceeded. Most of them have 5+ year warranties and will give you several years of service at least. Lot of discussions on TFP about what color, what thickness, etc. Give a search on solar cover for lots of info.

You guys must have magical heat pumps as I've had a hayward and a Jandy now and they work like garbage below 70 degrees air temp. In the winter here which is still likely warmer than what the OP will see in Summer in New Jersey, the heat pump flat our running 24 hours a day couldn't keep up to keep the pool at 80. Probably work a lot better if you can deal with using a pool cover all the time.

Interesting. I have always been skeptical about how well a heat pump would work and have not bought one yet. My solar panels definitely help quite a bit, but they don't cost much to operate. I would not be happy to spend the money on a heat pump and then spend $100-$300 or whatever per month to run it and still have a cold pool! Especially knowing that I am NOT going to use a solar cover.

For example, if I was reasonably certain that I could spend $100-$150 per month in april, may, september and october and keep my pool at 85-87 degrees then I would buy a heat pump yesterday.

But, I have read every heat pump thread on this forum and haven't found anyone who is thrilled with their heat pump and how cheap it is to run and how hot and steamy their pool is! (-:

Interesting. I have always been skeptical about how well a heat pump would work and have not bought one yet. My solar panels definitely help quite a bit, but they don't cost much to operate. I would not be happy to spend the money on a heat pump and then spend $100-$300 or whatever per month to run it and still have a cold pool! Especially knowing that I am NOT going to use a solar cover.

For example, if I was reasonably certain that I could spend $100-$150 per month in april, may, september and october and keep my pool at 85-87 degrees then I would buy a heat pump yesterday.

But, I have read every heat pump thread on this forum and haven't found anyone who is thrilled with their heat pump and how cheap it is to run and how hot and steamy their pool is! (-:

The money will depend on your pump, the heat pump doesn't use all that much energy but the pump does, so if you have variable speed pump running at low setting, it will be much cheaper. My 1.5 hp pump running in winter trying to keep the pool warm my bill was 500 plus a month for electric when normally it would be 100 in winter. I'd say the heat pump probably cost 50 dollars or so to run, the pump though costs a fortune.

I have a heat pump in erie pa and keep the water at 87 from may thru sept sometimes part of october.i put a solar cover on as soon as i am done swimming, works great.i do not however shut it off,i maintain the same water temp and let the heat pump cycle as needed.i always used a solar cover even at my old house which had a gas heated pool, cant afford to throw all that money away at night when the dollars just evaporate into the air.saves on chlorine and water too.

The heat pump is around 120,000 btus.during the cooler months may sept sometimes oct. My electric bill goes up between 100-125 this includes the filter pump also.during the warmer months maybe an xtra 75-100.i run my pump on a timer 8 hrs a day .on initial startup in the spring i run it 24/7 until the pool reaches 87.(2-3 days) then i set the timer.elec rates are about 11-12 cent per kwh.this is with a solar cover.i set the timer from 9-5 which seems to be the warmest part of the day to maximize heat pump efficiency.on normal warm days it runs for about an hour or 2 in the morning until it reaches temp then shuts off.keep in mind i keep my pool at 87 (90 if having a party).keeping it cooler would reduce your energy costs.

The heat pump is around 120,000 btus.during the cooler months may sept sometimes oct. My electric bill goes up between 100-125 this includes the filter pump also.during the warmer months maybe an xtra 75-100.i run my pump on a timer 8 hrs a day .on initial startup in the spring i run it 24/7 until the pool reaches 87.(2-3 days) then i set the timer.elec rates are about 11-12 cent per kwh.this is with a solar cover.i set the timer from 9-5 which seems to be the warmest part of the day to maximize heat pump efficiency.on normal warm days it runs for about an hour or 2 in the morning until it reaches temp then shuts off.keep in mind i keep my pool at 87 (90 if having a party).keeping it cooler would reduce your energy costs.

Key point is with a solar cover. If you will religiously use the solar cover,then it could be effective in NJ. Also I would have an efficient pump. I know just turning my pump from 12 hours a day to 6 hours a day knocked almost 100 dollars off my electric bill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.