Pentair EasyTouch 8 wiring help

Feb 19, 2015
Cypress, TX
I've just purchased a Pentair EasyTouch 8 load center (without SCG) and doing some research before tackling the install. I've read many of the previous threads about wiring one up and just wanted to confirm a few things. My current power from a sub-panel has 2 legs of 240V running to the timers, and 1 leg of 120V running to the pool/spa lights.

My equipment is Pentair Intelliflo main pump, (2) Pentair Whisperflo pumps for waterfalls, Booster pump for Polaris, Starite natural gas heater, Glacier GPC 210 45 GPM Chiller.

My first question is for breakers in the EasyTouch. What besides the pool lights are required/need to be on a GFCI breaker? I was reading a post earlier that recommended to wire the Intelliflo up directly to the breaker and the COM port instead of the relay. Should my Intelliflo be on a GFCI breaker and if so, is this true for the rest of the pumps?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome to TFP!

The main pump does need to be on a CGFI breaker. The other pieces of equipment are recommended to be on a CGFI breaker, but not required.

The IntelliFlo does get wired directly to the breaker, and is controlled through a data cable.

Is it possible to use a 240V breaker for more than 1 pump? Say combine both waterfall Whisperflo pumps? I would just run to the same breaker from the individual relays correct? If I don't do this, I will run out of room for breakers in the load center.

Yes and no. It is not recommended, but it is allowed if the peak amps (sum of both pumps amps) is below the rating for the circuit breaker. The problem is that pumps have large startup current spikes, which can sometimes trip the breaker if they both startup at the same time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is fine.

By the by, all of these rules vary just a little from place to place. They make a new edition of the code every couple of years, and different jurisdictions use editions of the code from different years. If you need to pass an electrical inspection you should either hire an experienced local electrician to double check everything, or talk to the inspector beforehand to make sure you are doing everything correctly.

Yes I planned on getting a licensed electrician to come by and give me the "OK" with everything.
One more thing - Since my filter pump is an Intelliflo which uses the COM cable and it won't connect to the Main Pump relay, can I use that relay for one of my Whisperflo pumps that go to a waterfall?

You can unplug the "pump" relay from the filter pump connection on the main control board, and instead plug it into the solar booster pump/aux extra position, which will allow you to use the relay for something else. This has some limitations if you have solar heat, but without solar heat it is very flexible. There are some other conceivable approaches if you do have solar, but they get progressively more limiting and are much less likely to be useful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.