Another leak issue

Jul 3, 2011
Central NC
I had a concrete block fall into my pool. Yes, you read that correctly. It got windy the other day, so to help hold the cover down I decided to lay some 30lb. blocks around the perimeter of the cover on the deck portion. One of them got tossed into the pool as the wind was laughing at my feeble attempt at victory.

I have a slow leak now, and I know that there's not a whole lot that I can do until spring. However, my concern is the water level. If there's nothing in the pool, the walls are just as vulnerable as they are with too much weight on top. I'm going to just remove the cover to help prevent that damage, but what can I do for the inside of the pool? Keep adding water for another 2 months until time to fix the liner? What if we get another wind storm?

Wet suit and an ice pick????

That sucks...The wind blew a big car cover from my neighbors car into his pool back in october. The tarp got wrapped around the aluminum balusters on top of his pool and literally ripped the aluminum wall in half and the whole pool collapsed spilling 15k gallons of water into his yard and basement. Sucks when something like that happens. Its a shame too, his pool was always so clear and inviting looking. I think i took a pic....Let me try and find it.

Take the cover off n fill the pool to just below return. Watch it closely from here on out. It should get you through to nice weather when you can assess the damage better n retrieve the cinder block.

Thanks for the advice, all. I knew there wasn't much I could do, but I thought I'd throw it out there just to make myself feel better somehow. It's supposed to warm all the way up to the 40's this weekend, so I'll throw the hose in there and get more water in there. If I can get it to hold out for another couple of months, I MIGHT be able to get in there.

Update - just got in today and pulled the block out. The water finally got up to 75. That's still too cold for me, but was good enough for me to get in long enough to do that. Also patched a 2 1/2 inch long slit that the block left as the corner gouged into the liner last winter.

Lesson - Don't use concrete blocks on top of a deck to hold your pool cover down. This winter I'm picking up some sand bags.

Update - just got in today and pulled the block out. The water finally got up to 75. That's still too cold for me, but was good enough for me to get in long enough to do that. Also patched a 2 1/2 inch long slit that the block left as the corner gouged into the liner last winter.

Lesson - Don't use concrete blocks on top of a deck to hold your pool cover down. This winter I'm picking up some sand bags.

Sorry to hear the trouble with the pool. Maybe you can use some sort of pop up dock cleat or truck bed hold down mounted to the deck to keep it on. Not sure what others are using just throwing out some options.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.