Vacuum ?

Feb 10, 2008
Gilbert AZ
When I connect my vac hose to the skimmer, the pump seams to be starving for water. My hose is about 30' long but I only need about 20'. I feel there is too much restriction for the hose length. If I cut it to 20' will that help to solve the starvation problem? The hose is 11/2" ID. Also can I get a new cuff for the hose end?
Thanks

Make sure the hose is filled with water and fully submerged before connecting it to the skimmer. If that doesn't help then you might have a leak in the hose. My hose if about 5 feet longer than it needs to be, but that doesn't affect suction at all. What I do it attach it to the vacuum head, submerge it in the water and feed the rest of the hose in after it. Once all of the hose is submerged, I life the vac plate out of the water and quickly into the skimmer. It works every time. If there is any air left in the hose you'll get what you are experiencing.

1 other quick thought is about the hose itself -- many of them have a swivel cuff on one end, this should be attached to the vacuum head, if put on the skimmer side it can draw air into the system and cause the problem you are experiencing 8)

Please keep us informed as to how things are going :goodjob:

Had this problem a couple of years ago, there was a bunch of acorns stuck in the skimmer line which caused cavitation when the vac hose was hooked up - otherwise things ran fine. Have you vacuumed up big stuff without the skimmer basket in place?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After searching the site for a while, I for a thread that lead me to this link:
http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_skimmer ... kimmer.htm
This is exactly my skimmer. It seems that I am missing part #9 the vac adaptor. I've just been attaching the hose into the pump side port, I'll try to pick up the adaptor plate at the PS tomorrow. If I understand the diagram correctly I should remove #3 (float assembly) and insert the adaptor plate when vacuuming the pool. This should eliminate the pump cavitation.

waste said:
meatloaf said:
That is worth looking into. How did you clear the line?
Thanks

Forced water back through the line from the pump

Thread bump!

How did you force water from the pump, through the section lines out to the skimmer?

Begining last year, I began having this problem reported in this thread. When connecting the vaccuum, the pump seems starved for water. I have found many threads here at TFP where others have reported this problem. So, I have a list of things to check through. But if I check all those and find no issue, I wanted to know specifically how you flushed the line.

I have another thread here regarding seal plate damage which I will be replacing/repairing this weekend for opening. That thread is here: strange-seal-plate-damage-pentair-whisperflo-pump-t4517.html

I suppose it's possible that my leaking seal plate was responsible for ingesting air. Maybe my pump re-built will correct the vaccuuming issue as well. *Crosses fingers*

Thanks,

Kelly

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.