Question about Clorox Pool & Spa Chlorine Tabs

I think I know the answer to above but I can't find anywhere that has the chemicals or active ingredients on it. One more question. What out of my Taylor test kit would be bad by now. I bought it 7/2013. The K2006. Thanks in advance.

I think I know the answer to above but I can't find anywhere that has the chemicals or active ingredients on it. One more question. What out of my Taylor test kit would be bad by now. I bought it 7/2013. The K2006. Thanks in advance.

See Recognizing a Compromised Reagent from the Taylor website. To be on the safe side, you should replace any of the organic dyes most frequently (R-0870 DPD powder, R-0004 pH indicator, R-0008 TA indicator, R-0011L CH indicator) and the FAS-DPD reagent (R-0871). There are some reagents with a reasonably long shelf-life, but you could replace every few years (R-0003 potassium iodide, R-0007 thiosulfate, R-0013 melamine). Everything else should last for many, many years since they are just acids and bases (R-0005 acid, R-0006 base, R-0009 acid, R-0010 base).

As noted in John's link, the Trichlor tabs contain some boron salt so will slowly increase borates over time. It's <2% so if I assume it is sodium tetraborate pentahydrate, then for every 10 ppm FC added by this product, it also increases borates by less than 10*(4*10.811)/(0.9405*232.41) = 2.0 ppm (in ppm Boron units).

The main problem is with the 3-8% of "Trade secret 002". Based on this thread this appears to be the same as Aqua-Chem Plus tabs and based on this MSDS this seems to be the same as BioGuard Silk Sticks (and now we know that "Trade Secret 141" is a boron chemical), but we don't know what this chemical is that they are adding. They claim it softens the water and prevents scaling so perhaps it is a metal sequestrant.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.