1980's Inground Pool Renovation

May 24, 2014
Portland, OR
Hi All,

We purchased a house with a 1980's pool recently and I'm looking for ideas on how to update the pool deck and surround to be more of a backyard oasis. It's a bit like a 1980s parking lot currently with concrete aggregate (which is popping off), bricks (coming loose), river rocks galore, and a cement retaining wall. I even joked to the wife I was going to paint parking lines on the deck and reserved for signs on the retaining wall.

We're interested in your ideas and experience in updating this type of pool with the following design features.

How to have more grass around the pool?

How to disguise the retaining wall (hanging over greenery, attach sideways cedar boards, attach stacked stone, etc.)?

What type of material to replace the bricks with (something light colored)?

Should we cover or remove the aggregate deck and what to material to put over it or replace it with?

What type of tile to use inside the pool that won't come off?

Here's some pics of the current pool for your reference.

Thanks for all of your help!

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
We are getting ready to remodel our 1988 pool. Our pool has funky Spanish mosaic tile but my husband has managed to save and reattach most of the tiles tha have popped off during the last ten years. We have similar dark brick coping; it's hotter than heck year-round in our Texas sun (we call it our pizza oven coping). I believe travertine coping is supposed to be very cool due to low metal content in the stone. Looking at those pictures I would say you don't have enough decking. Is there a lot more decking looking at the pool the other way towards the retaining wall that isn't pictured?

Man that pool isnt all that bad. Just needs a little TLC.

But I will through a couple ideas out there.

To get more grass, number get rid of the river rocks! If you dont have an irrigation system, put one it and fertilize fertilize fertilize. If you have some low limbs on trees, trim them off so the sunlight can get to the grass.

The retaining wall - it could be faced with either real or faux stone and would look good. If you are artsy, get a friend who is an artist or do it yourself and paint a mural on it. I personally wouldnt go with any type of vine plant on it. Vines have a tendency to get outta control and end up in places where you dont want them. and the shade of teh vines would promote moss growing on the wall.

on the brick coping replacement, man there are a wide range of choices and prices. Travertine is beautiful.

On the deck, it might be worth your while to spend a weekend with some TSP and a Power Washer. Looks like there might be a few years since its been cleaned well. Do a good job with a power washer and it will look tons better. And if its ok with you, then put 2 or 3 coats of good sealer on it and it will rock! The sealer will also keep the pebbles from popping off.

Alternately, if you wanna refinish it, you can refinish with something like cool deck available in many colors. Or if the new coping is an inch higher than the deck is now, you could use travertine or similar pavers and install them right on top of the deck. The trick is having them be the same height as the new coping. OR, if all else fails, the top inch or 1.25 of the deck can be ground off so that new pavers could be installed on it. Its a messy job though.

A new tile job is all you need. Its 30 yrs old. Its time for them to pop off. Lots of nice stuff on the market these days (I like the irridescent ones) along with specialty grout. In any case though, if you dont keep your water parameters in check, it will weaken the tile grout and the new tiles will pop off.

Hi All,

We purchased a house with a 1980's pool recently and I'm looking for ideas on how to update the pool deck and surround to be more of a backyard oasis. It's a bit like a 1980s parking lot currently with concrete aggregate (which is popping off), bricks (coming loose), river rocks galore, and a cement retaining wall. I even joked to the wife I was going to paint parking lines on the deck and reserved for signs on the retaining wall.

We're interested in your ideas and experience in updating this type of pool with the following design features.

How to have more grass around the pool?

How to disguise the retaining wall (hanging over greenery, attach sideways cedar boards, attach stacked stone, etc.)?

What type of material to replace the bricks with (something light colored)?

Should we cover or remove the aggregate deck and what to material to put over it or replace it with?

What type of tile to use inside the pool that won't come off?

Here's some pics of the current pool for your reference.

Thanks for all of your help!

View attachment 34410
View attachment 34409

I second giving the deck you have a good power cleaning. I bet it will look nice when you are done.

I would NOT remove the river rock as it serves as a good border between the grass and deck. Just shoot round up in it and call it good. If you do not like the look of the rock think about using white marble rock instead of the darker river rock.

Tile-I am no help there.

I LOVE the share of your pool and the decking around it..........funny how we are all so different.

Retaining wall-I like the idea of putting stone on it OR you can hire someone to do a mural on it. I would NOT do vines for the same reason already stated.

Let us know if there is any other ways we can help you spend your money and time LOL

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.