Allergic to the new pool?!?!?!?

Aug 27, 2008
Hello all, I'm new here and am so impressed with the wealth of helpful information everyone has!
So I figured one of you might be able to help me out....
In June, my family moved to a new house with a pool. The pool is an old fiberglass one, probably at least 30 years old...and originally it was being maintained by a general maintenance guy who was not a pool expert. We had problems right off the bat with algae, the pool turned into a thick green pond at one point, but it was brought back. We have persistent problems with cloudiness, and have subsequently hired a professional pool tech.
We have previously also had issues with the chlorine rapidly dissipating(temps here have been 90+), and have added a floating chlorine dispenser.

Well, the last 3 times I have gone in, I come out with an itchy red rash all over my torso, arms and wrists. If I immediately shower in very hot water the rash will disappear within a few hours. But nobody else has this problem with the pool, including our kids!

So I was wondering what this could be! At first I thought it was bug bites as maybe a spider or mite got into my suit, but I bought a new suit and still it happened again.
I tried to google chlorine rash or pool rash, but really came up empty!

I have no idea what this is and how to stop it! I LOVE swimming, and this red itchy rash I'm getting is awful! :(

Could this be from the new pool tech and the new chlorine levels that weren't there before?!?!?
I'm clueless and sad I have a pool I'm seemingly allergic to now!

The chance that you are allergic to a balanced pool is remote.

The chances your pool is w-a-a-ay out of balance are very near 100%.

Take a sample of your pool water to a pool store and ask for a set of test results. Post them up here on the forum and you'll get great help solving your issue.

Read the Articles in "Pool School" starting at the top. It'll help you understand what you need to get you pool into shape.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.