New Plaster Testing - PH high but TA is good

LisaDLu

Nov 14, 2014
Palm Desert, CA
It's been almost one month since our new replaster and every time I test the PH it is high (over an 8 using a Tayor K-2006 test kit). Usually the TA is in the acceptable range of about 80ppm. I'm assuming it is ok to add muriatic acid to lower the PH even though the TA is in the acceptable range? I know everyone says they need to add acid to a new plaster for an extended period of time but it seems I'm doing it almost every day. Is this normal?

Yesterday's test:
PH - over an 8 (took 3 drops of R005 to bring it down).
TA - 90ppm.
CH - 210ppm.

Today's test:
PH - over an 8 (took 1 drop of R005 to bring it down).
TA - 80ppm.

We have a SWG which is showing salt level at 1900 so we need to add more salt. We are also in a hard water area so I'm hesitant to raise the CH even though Pool School says for a SWG to try for it between 250-350ppm. Anything you see in these numbers that says I should be doing something different? THANKS!

What your experiencing is totally normal. When your PH gets to 8 lower it down some. Try lowering it to 7.6-7.8. Sometimes if you lower it to low it will rise faster.
Your TA of 80 is a little higher than what is recommended for a SWG. It should be about 60, and that will also help slow your PH drifting up. Now when you lower your PH with acid that will slowly lower your TA also. If your TA drops below 50 from lowering your PH just bring the TA back up with baking soda.
It may be a juggling act until things calm down from the plaster curing process.

Just to reinforce what pwrstrk says, its completely normal.

You do need to keep the pH down though, if you dont, it could potentially lead to calcium scaling if all of the wrong conditions fall into place. That would be a shame.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.