No rips but broken tabs on the grids do I need to replace it?

That's what I figures I went ahead and ordered all new grids

I don't know what your grid manufacturer or layout is, but mine was a bit of a jigsaw putting the new grids in. I took some photos before pulling the grid assy apart to help with reassembly. I was forewarned on this by a friend who decided just to pull his apart for a through cleaning, :), and then had a devil of a job putting it back together.

new grids in placed. I followed an online video and replaced all 8 grids in less than 45 minutes. I'm extremely glad I replaced them. There was no way my old grids were filtering properly.

For my 48 sq ft filter, the box said 4.5 lbs but I added 6lbs of DE because they were a little went from sitting outside. so I figure to compensate for wet weight. Right before I replaced the grids, and I was running at about 15 psi with very dirty grids. My filter normally run at 10 psi. With my new grids, my pressure gauge is maybe a couple PSI only. I assume this is normal?

yup. If grids are broken, the DE can blow through them and end up on bottom of the pool.
Maybe you can be more specific. My impression of the OP is that some of the supporting ribs are broken. I'm not a pool professional but here is my take:

They do not have any function related to keeping DE out of the pool, the cloth that covers them does. If the cloth is ripped then DE will escape. The ribs are designed to keep an optimum shape to the grid and enhance the filtering. If too many ribs are broken the filter may perform so poorly that the grids need replacement. In addition the misshapen grids may cause enough turbulence in the filter that it may cause a rib to puncture the cloth and then of course let DE into the pool.

Maybe you can be more specific. My impression of the OP is that some of the supporting ribs are broken. I'm not a pool professional but here is my take:

They do not have any function related to keeping DE out of the pool, the cloth that covers them does. If the cloth is ripped then DE will escape. The ribs are designed to keep an optimum shape to the grid and enhance the filtering. If too many ribs are broken the filter may perform so poorly that the grids need replacement. In addition the misshapen grids may cause enough turbulence in the filter that it may cause a rib to puncture the cloth and then of course let DE into the pool.

I don't think the rib was my issue, the tabs where the grids matr with the top manifold was broken. Therefore, it couldn't create a seal. All the small particles, escapes and gets blown back into the pool causing my water to be cloudy. It only took a few hours before my pool cleared up with the new grids.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.