Waterproofing

Sep 3, 2011
I am building a outdoor bar with pt lumber and want to put some veneer stone on front and sides. I was going to use hardi cement board with metal lath, do I need any waterproofing between pt studs and cement board was going to do skim coat, over lath and then stone. The bar will be under a covered roof but does get some blown in rain? I have some tyvex wrap from someone I thought about using between cement board and pt framing if needed any advice would be great.

Thanks
Fred

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with Jabooh a waterproof barrier is a good choice. May be an overkill but its a minor cost of assurance of keeping the materials intact and any storage inside dry.
I used Hydroban(hydrobarrier) from Laticrette which is like Redguard. The Hydroban is one of the steps for the MVIS stone setting process. http://www.laticrete.com/MVIS/ Not lathe needed - hardibacker, hydroban and stone.

If you do use Redgard with your cement board backer, make sure you use a primer coat prior to laying in the two recommended full strength coats. A primer coat consists of 1 part redgard 4 parts water. I read that sometimes the cement boards suck up so much water that without the primer coat you might have adhesion problems. This is especially important with hardiebacker, because it is so dry.

Kerdi membrane. Made by a company called Schluter. It's used as the water proof membrane, over the sheetrock/hardi board, in bathroom showers. Spread thinset (1/4" notched trowel) over the backer/cement board and then put the membrane into the thinset. Use a flat part of the trowel or grout float to smooth it out and and knock down air bubbles. Then thinset the veneer stone over it. Make sure to use the unmodified (no additives) thinset, it'll cure faster. Home Depot and Lowes sells it. In the tile dept.

Kerdi is good, but way overkill and super expensive. Is it even rated for outdoor use? Easiest would be backerboard over frame. Tape all seams with backerboard tape and thinset. Apply a good coat of Redgard that can be easily found at Home Depot. Then use the stone manufactures recommendation for thinset or mortar.

I think it really comes down to how much rain water you get or how often you will spraying your island down with a hose.
I think Redguard should be fine and the least expensive, I used Hydroban because I had some left from my pool bond beam build. I also installed kerdi in a master bath shower(amazing stuff) but a shower is far different than a bbq island - unless you live in Seattle and it sitting on a uncovered patio!
I think if you have the money to buy expensive substrate materials I would spend the money to get a grill accessories as some of these are an overkill for water barrier.
Just my .02

It certainly depends on the project, but I am of the opinion the waterproof membranes and sealers can trap water.....often over and over in the same spot until you have some issues.

I think I would forgo all the sealers and membranes on that particular job and simply make sure I provided good drainage and air circulation around the spots where water might collect.

I decided to use plywood wrap with roofing felt latch n then stone. This will be cheaper and lighter on the casters. Here r some pix.
08f10cadea2c4ce83fe0e77d6312447a.jpg
3e09b837e6f4c85019908523f106b3b6.jpg
ea611250148cd07c239f868c30d82c65.jpg
0942bfad6447fd6c88421731ed61dda2.jpg
f04f7a6ae190a0b4ade737035b7e6a3b.jpg

Jeeper

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would put a water proof coating on the cement board prior to installing the lath. The cement backer board will allow water to get through.

I have not personally used it but I heard Redgaurd is good. http://m.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Bui...nd-Crack-Prevention-Membrane-LQWAF1/100169081
They use cement backer boards in bathroom showers. You tile over the cement backer board. No waterproofing is needed on the cement board and I never heard of such a thing. If the cement boards lasts in a shower I would think that's all you need. Just my .02

They use cement backer boards in bathroom showers. You tile over the cement backer board. No waterproofing is needed on the cement board and I never heard of such a thing. If the cement boards lasts in a shower I would think that's all you need. Just my .02

I would not sleep well at night knowing my shower did not have some kind of waterproofing either behind the cement board (6 mil poly would work fine) or something on the front like Kerdi, Hydroban or Redgard. I just redid my master bathroom and I put Kerdi over drywall. Good to go...sleeping well. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.