I need a monthly maintenance estimate for a pool of this size

Omar W

Feb 17, 2015
South Florida
Pools.jpg

It will be used 12 months out of the year.
I will have to pay someone to maintain it as I travel for work and am out of town for several days at a time.
I understand several factors come into play here but a conservative estimate would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Really depends on where you live and what is part of the maintanence schedule. My brother for example pays $60 per month for someone to come twice a week to maintain the pool. That includes skimming a few leaves, basic water testing and adding of chlorine (probably tablets). He probably also backwashes the DE filter every once in a while since my brother had no clue what that was when I brought it up.

So with that you get a cloudy pool and the need to "shock" every time he has a pool party since the heavy bather load makes it look a little green. Honestly, my 7 month old may never swim in his pool!

I would suggest you call around and get quotes and find out what they do, if you are going to pay someone.

This forum is more geared to teaching owners how to maintain their own pool, generally for a lot less money.

I will have to pay someone to maintain it as I travel for work and am out of town for several days at a time.
Does that mean you could maintain the pool once a week, twice a month .....?

A SWG might be a good investment to get you through your travels. Chlorine is probably the fastest changing element in a pool and a SWG can help maintain constant levels. Everything else changes fairly slowly. Also, having a little debris build up in the pool is no big deal and cleanup can wait till you get home.

Welcome to TFP.

I say as long as you can get to it every three days at least, go for it yourself. With a SWCG or Stenner pump automatically chlorinating it you can go a few days between testing once you get it dialed in. A pool service is going to,come once a week and brush, clean the filter and throw some tabs in a floater. Before you know it you will have high CYA and an uncontrollable pool.

Read around in the Pool School and see what we teach. It takes a few minutes a day to maintain it yourself and you will care for it better than the pool guys for a lot less money!

I am not sure it is going to be easy to find a company that you can just call out for maintenance every once and a while. They are going to want you to be a regular customer (contract even?). Plus usually the way "they" maintain the pool is vastly different from the way we maintain out pools. It may not be a good idea to be switching back and forth.

Being gone for a few days at a time is no big deal if you have an automated way of maintaining the chlorine levels ... like a SWG or stenner pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another vote for a SWG. Also while your away maybe you could find a responsible teenager, college student to keep an eye on things. Do some simple FC, PH test's and make adjustments accordingly. The SWG would make things easier for them. You could show them what needs to be done and would be cheaper than a pool service coming out.

SWG for sure. I have found that once I had got my chemistry right, a cover and a SWG meant that I didn't even have to look at my pool for a week at a time. The pool was covered so dirt and bathers were kept out, so the chlorine demand was similar daily, which the SWG took care of. A very easy way to look after a pool with just the occasional chemistry check. A different matter once the cover is off and swimmers are in the pool of course.

Install a SWG and learn how to maintain it yourself. The SWG will maintain chlorine levels while you are gone for days at a time. I adjust my pH and brush the pool once a week. No other real maintenance required. My only cost to maintain the pool is acid, and I only have to buy that every 3-4 months maybe.

What city in south Florida?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.