New Pool Build Phoenix Arizona - DIY or BYOP or Other?

Millty

Feb 16, 2015
Phoenix, Arizona
Anyone have experience using Build Your Own Pool of Arizona to build their pool? Debating between doing it ourselves - find contractors, etc. or using the Build Your Own Pool company which costs $2K for middle package. The price seems steep to me. We already have our design pretty much nailed down so not sure it is worth the $2,000, since the design is a big part of the package. And I already have a few recommended subs to use. I also wonder why they are not registered with the BBB. With BYOP, we still have to manage our own subs, they design the pool and then send it out to their subs for quotes, after that you're on your own, although you can ask them questions. With the $2K middle package, you have to submit your own permit application. It is $500 more to have them submit it which seems a bit steep, comes with some other stuff like design built in BBQ, etc, things we don't need. They don't have a process for giving them feedback about their subs which seems like they would have if they wanted to make sure they only used the best subs. Also, the subs they use have to pay BYOP. Seems to me, if they are the best subs, they don't need to pay to get customers... But I can't find anything negative about them online and I have a friend that used them and liked them so maybe I am being overly picky.

Thanks,
Millty

Okay, so I am in your exact situation. I know what pool I want to build, I am very familiar with the process. I have a list of subs already vetted by DIYers here on TFP that have shared them with me. Paying $2000 is a bit much if all they really are going to do for me is make a pool design for permits. What I have found is in the Phoenix area, every pool designer is a pool builder and will want to not only build your pool but manipulate the design into what they have done before and what they are comfortable with. If anyone in the area knows of another way, please let me know.

Here is what I have found for the Phoenix area:

Build Your Own Pool: At least two other posters have used them here at TFP with great success and have nothing but great things to say. They are also a part dealer, so they will be able to identify the best way to go on building your system. Like you have found, they have an amazing reputation online: Yelp, BB, ect. However, they have had two price increases since I have been researching a pool and it now costs double what it used to for the same package. If it wasnt for their high price, BYOP would be a no brainer.

Owner Grown Pool Plans: Very similar to BYOP, but costs $1495. Will design, and consult just like the above. However, price may not include engineering. She was unclear on that. Does not sell parts; suggest you buy them from the plumber. Had literally no online reputation to speak of, until last Wednesday when someone posted a one star review about her on Yelp. YMMV for sure.

Boulder Creek Pools: Not DIY, but a cost plus builder. Basically whatever it costs to build your pool, they mark it up 20% and that is what you pay. This requires the honor system from your builder. Would they actually share invoicing with a customer? Might be an option if you are really looking for a hands off approach. Their ROC is clean. However, they have 2 complaints on the BBB. Both seem to be the case of the customer never letting them know something was wrong until filing the complaint. YMMV.

Jon @ Titan Underground Gas: Yes, a gas company. Jon will design your pool, engineering, schedule and manage your subs on site for $1500. His ROC through his company is clean. He tells me he has managed 60-70 pool builds. A poster here at TFP has used him and raves about him. However, he only ran the gas line on that job. He prefers to manage only in the East Valley. If you are in the West Valley, he cannot be out there for every sub to watch over them. Also, he takes a few days to answer email. Maybe he is more responsive on the phone, I am not yet to that point in my research. I am still awaiting a response to my request for sample designs and referrals of past customers he has managed their pools. I will update if I get a response.

So no clear cut winner. I would certainly throw $1000 at BYOP if that was still their pricing. Please, if anyone in the Phoenix area knows of other sources I would love to hear them.

I used BYOP. Began process towards the end of 2013, but I didn't pay anywhere near the prices you have listed. I would make an appt. to speak with Todd. My initial consultation was free and he came to my house to take a look around and go over my wants and ideas. I got quotes from several contractors for each phase and then picked from the ones I was most confident with, some were BYOP preferred contractors, others were not. Since BYOP and AZ wholesale share the same building, they were also able to give me an equipment list which can be modified and had some of the lowest prices I could find. Began construction in Feb. of 2014 and finished less than 2 months later. Whole process went very smooth. I would be glad to answer any specific questions you might have.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 615
Glad to hear another success story for BYOP. If you started talking to them back in 2013, that would be back when it was $995 for a custom pool design. That same package is now $1995. From what everyone has told me, Todd would probably bend on price to get your equipment business.

Bryan Bojko of Bryan Bojko Construction, LLC. is another option. He is a registered contractor and is registered with the Better Business Bureau. He is a bit more money than BYOP but he manages all the subs. He charges a flat fee plus invoice amounts of the subs. I don't know anyone that has completed a pool with him, but know someone who just started a pool with him and so far are happy.

I went the Owner/Builder route, so I figured I should show the finished product. All said and done, my pool cost me ~$49,000. Had I gone with a builder, it would have been between $60,000 and 75,000. If you are in the Phoenix area, I recommend going OB as all of the subs are the same guys that will be doing the work for the big guys. Speaking with some of the subs, their rates to a home owner is not that much different as they charge the big builders because they know the home owner is collecting bids just the same.

The one surprising thing is it seemed a lot of subs did not have getting paid a priority. I had a couple of subs that took weeks to pick up their check/cash. Blew my mind.

cSXW0w8wz018tkiuFyNKPqYckRsPW-B73RunRI7fGCk=w1144-h643-no

fmIbtZ1YDQ_P9R3_nH6jAvt2_iFzVblI9juhKWl9Q_I=w1144-h643-no

CDC Pools is coming out Monday to clean out he other bubbler. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Anyone have experience using Build Your Own Pool of Arizona to build their pool? Debating between doing it ourselves - find contractors, etc. or using the Build Your Own Pool company which costs $2K for middle package. The price seems steep to me. We already have our design pretty much nailed down so not sure it is worth the $2,000, since the design is a big part of the package. And I already have a few recommended subs to use. I also wonder why they are not registered with the BBB. With BYOP, we still have to manage our own subs, they design the pool and then send it out to their subs for quotes, after that you're on your own, although you can ask them questions. With the $2K middle package, you have to submit your own permit application. It is $500 more to have them submit it which seems a bit steep, comes with some other stuff like design built in BBQ, etc, things we don't need. They don't have a process for giving them feedback about their subs which seems like they would have if they wanted to make sure they only used the best subs. Also, the subs they use have to pay BYOP. Seems to me, if they are the best subs, they don't need to pay to get customers... But I can't find anything negative about them online and I have a friend that used them and liked them so maybe I am being overly picky.

Thanks,
Millty
I looked at BYOP and couldn't justify their fees and went Owner/Builder and I'm glad I did. Ended-up using Desert Drafting for my design and plans. Like you I had an idea of what we wanted and send her our ideas, she did the plans, all the sub notes and even prepared a "mock" permit application that we then transferred to the actual permit application and we were in and out of permitting in 20 minutes permit in hand. Very happy with her services. As far as structural engineering, I think I paid $275 total. Other sub wise, they're actually quite easy to find, just ask other Owner/Builders or others in the area building pools. Desert Drafting provided me a sub list but I think I only ended-up using one sub on her list, the rest I found from other Owner Builders.

Hope that helps.

We built our pool four summers ago and used Pool And Spa Designs. The cost was around $1400 for the detailed drawings. I was able to take them to my City permit office to obtain my permits. We also had a Ramada built, and for that there was an extra engineering fee due to the fact that two of the ramada posts were going to land on the pool wall. That was about another $600. At the time I thought this was the cost of getting these things done. Overall I still saved a lot of money by building my own, so I dont really have any regrets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.