New Pool Depth

Dubby

Feb 17, 2015
UT
The hole has been dug and I am quickly regretting my depth choice. 20 x 40 rectangular with 6 ft tanning deck - 3 foot depth for 10 feet - transition to 3.5 foot for 10 feet and a slope to five foot. I have a 7 and 12 year old - hoping for volleyball in the shallow and a slide will dump into the 5 foot section. Is this too shallow in the 3 to 3.5 range - does 3.5 to 4 make more sense?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Depth is a personal choice. Some like very shallow where everyone can stand and others like to be able to jump in.

To me, 3' is awfully shallow. Even the smallest above ground pools are nearly 4' deep (unless you are talking about kiddie pools). It is no uncommon to have a "play" pool where the depth starts at 3' (or a little more) on each and continually slopes to the middle at 5'.

Also, 5' seems a little shallow for a slide IMO.

Mine is 20x40. Close to 1/3 is 3.5' then it slopes to 8.5 on the deep end for the diving board. I have three kids big enough to get in the pool; 8,5,&3. None of them play in the shallow end exclusively. They swim and jump off the board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that 3' and even 3-1/2' is too shallow. 4' is the minimum depth I would build at next time. We spend most of our time in the 4-1/2'-5' parts of our pool. Get a tape measure and hold it up to you to see how shallow 3' and 3-1/2' really is.

Some people say they want shallow pools for their kids, but kids grow fast and learn to swim even faster. We have several benches around our pool and steps. When we have smaller kids visit they often pick a bench as home base and swim to them when they get tired. But, none of them ever hang out in the 3' part of our pool. Nobody is ever over there really.

My slide lets off in about 5' of water and it's fine as long as I don't extend my legs all the way -- otherwise I come off the slide standing. It's not dangerous, just slightly annoying and easily remedied by coming off the slide in a crouching position. Not an issue whatsoever for the kids though. In retrospect I may have made the pool another foot deeper had I known in advance that would happen, but I'm in the category of people who like to be able to stand anywhere in the pool and I'm 5'7".

I have kids between 5-11 and they would much rather swim than stand. They enjoy benched for sitting but like to jump in and swim down to the bottom and they are only getting bigger.
Our pool goes from 3 1/2' to around 8 1/2' in the deep end.
No regrets.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I love that I have options. Shallow (3.5-4' with wide steps) for the littlest ones to feel safe as well as volleyball and basketball... And yet also a safe-depth (6.5') for the slide and 9' for diving which is a huge attraction for braver/older kids and cannonballing adults!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.