multiple vinyl tears

cateng

May 30, 2007
Western KY
Last night I located and repaired multiple tears in my vinyl. Maybe 15 or so. I used a vinyl glue (not sure the brand) with leftover vinyl material. I am not sure what is causing them but they are all located on the wall about 1 to 4 inches above the floor. Some look as if a foriegn object has penetrated from behind and some look as if something has punctured the liner from the outside. Does anyone have any experience repairing vinyl in this manner. It seems as though it may have reduced the leaking by about 50% but not stopped it completely. I dont know if there are more tears or if my patches didn't hold. Should I just go ahead and plan to replace the liner?

I would appreciate any advice.

How old is your liner? How old is you pool? What is the structure of the walls?

I think the first thing to do is try to figure out why you got the tears to begin with. Was there a dog in the pool? Were your children playing with knives? (I tell mine they can play with them, as long as they are not in the pool :wink: ) Did a glass break in that area and fall in?

It is possible that something penetrated the liner, got behind it and is causing havoc. I am sure you have, but feel around and see if you can locate it.

As long as you used an epoxy that works with vinyl liners you should be OK. The key is making sure that you found them all.

Replacement is always a great solution, however, you don't want to put a new liner in if you cannot conclude what caused the tears to begin with. Also, in theory if you find all the leaks, and properly patch them a new liner is not necessary :)

Good luck and keep us posted!

duraleigh said:
but they are all located on the wall about 1 to 4 inches above the floor.
vacuum cleaner or auto-vac is a probable culprit.

A friend of mine installs pools on the side, and that is what he was thinking, but I can't find anything that would point to that being the cause. Maybe the brush is too stiff. My walls are not as smooth as they should be. Maybe the brush along with some particals behind my liner is the cause.
I think it has slowed the leaking down more than I initially thought. I added about an 1 1/4" in a week. That is much better than the 1" everyday that I was adding before.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.