Longest streak for keeping pool water in balance

3dogowner

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 11, 2014
Seattle, WA
Curious, using the TFPC method, just how long has anyone kept their pool in balance and not had to either SLAM or dump and fill their pool/spa? Sorry, this leaves out all those who have to close for the season.......
Any world records out there?

We have had our pool for 3 seasons and none of that. Even had an algae bloom the first fall because we didn't realize that swcg do not work in cold water. So, now we put a gallon of bleach in occasionally during winter. Never SLAMed, shocked or anything. Just TF100 tests and tweaks here and there to ph, alkalinity, cya and swcg output. TFP is awesome and that is why it says TFP Platinum over there <<-----.

It's been 10 years since I got cloudy water and high chlorine demand from algae growth after using Trichlor and having the CYA rise from 30 to 150 ppm. Since that time, I once did not dose the pool enough after starting up the solar system and had slightly cloudy water but a HUGE chlorine demand from a bacterial conversion of CYA (see this thread), but that was around 6 years ago.

I don't winterize the pool, but I do use winter rains to dilute the water each year mostly to keep the salt level in check. Now to be fair, as described in this post I had the phosphates removed from the pool as an experiment about 5 years ago and since then I have not seen even an increased chlorine demand in the very few times the chlorine got too low (even close to zero). If I just count any inconsistent dosing, I'd say that occurs once every few years but even if I had the 3000+ ppb phosphates I used to have this would still be easily handled so long as the chlorine didn't get all the way to zero and allow bacteria to grow and consume CYA creating ammonia.

I close my pool in the winter and haven't SLAMed since I opened it in 2012. I open early enough to usually have clear water with a little algae. I don't like to shock because I want to get the cleaner going right away. I usually open on a Saturday morning, and by Sunday evening the pool is passably clean and on a normal chlorination cycle.

I don't shock when closing because I see no need.

Here is a shot of my pool after vacuuming it on opening day last year:

I've never had to SLAM (pool was built in 2011). I've done TFPC since the start. I don't close the pool for the winter, and I try to use rain water to keep the CH under control (the California drought is making this a bit difficult). Thanks TFP for showing me how to do it!

I'm going on my 4th year of no SLAM or significant drain & refill. I do not winterize my pool. One of the secrets is that I aggressively manage CYA. I let it drop during the fall and winter (water dilution from rain and runoff takes care of that). The colder water and less sunlight during late fall and winter reduces chlorine demand considerably. Nevertheless, I'm diligent about maintaining chlorine at the recommended level throughout the winter - I can just go much longer between additions vs. the summer. In late-March, I will test and add CYA (with granular CYA using the sock-in-the-skimmer method) to bring it up to 30-35 ppm. I may bump CYA closer to 40 ppm during the height of the summer. I always leave a little headroom for CYA in case I need to temporarily use tabs for chlorination if I'm out of town for more than a few days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Going on 3 years with new pool. It's SLAM'ed for closing because I have to close but it's opened to crystall clear water. I simply hook the pump n filter up, top her off n start her up and adjust all parameters of water testing if needed.

Last pool I went 3 years before I moved. 6 years total. Not to shabby. :cool:

im on 2 weeks. lol! i just added the salt to get my SWG cookin' but my CYA levels were way too high since i was stupid and didn't get on the "just add bleach" train fast enough and added dichlor. doh! never again! so i had to do a partial drain to get it into the zone...but hey, live and learn. went in my spa last night and it was PERFECT. thanks for all the brilliant info!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.